Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 16-02-07, 10:11 AM

Default can ordinary powder paints be used instead of raw pigments?

Hi, can ordinary powder paints be used instead of raw pigments? I need to find a cheaper alternative to raw pigments.
Old 16-02-07, 04:16 PM

I think it depends on what you mean by powder paints. If you mean "poster paints", don't do it. They're cheap because they use minuscule amounts of bright but super-fugitive pigments and a lot of filler and nasty, non-archival glue as a binder. They are meant for temporary classroom display, not anything you want to last.

I don't mean to be pushy or anything, but what's non-cheap about raw pigments? You can get a whole kilo of gorgeous dirt for a few bucks, and it will last you years and dozens of square meters.
Old 16-02-07, 06:35 PM

the cost really depends on the pigments... real cobalt blue is really expensive for exemple, but all the ocres, sienna earth, ultramarine blue etc are cheap really (or at least where I buy them)

be carefull with what you buy... I got one or 2 "unidentified" pigments which were cheap but that I just can't use (impossible to make a paint out of them )
Old 16-02-07, 06:48 PM

Default cheaper pigments

Thanks, in England many of the blues, greens and reds are quite expensive to buy and the earth colours tend to be cheaper. I went to Cornellisons art store and many of the 50g jars of greens available were nearly 6.00, the other colours (except some earth ones) werent much better either. Does anyone know of a shop/online store that sells good quality ET pigments at cheaper prices?
Old 17-02-07, 05:20 AM
Steve

Default Re: cheaper pigments

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss pixel
Thanks, in England many of the blues, greens and reds are quite expensive to buy and the earth colours tend to be cheaper. I went to Cornellisons art store and many of the 50g jars of greens available were nearly 6.00, the other colours (except some earth ones) werent much better either. Does anyone know of a shop/online store that sells good quality ET pigments at cheaper prices?
If you already have any watercolour paints, they can be used instead of pigment.
Old 17-02-07, 12:19 PM

Quote:
If you already have any watercolour paints, they can be used instead of pigment.
Do you mix the egg with the watercolour paint from a tube? what ratio of egg to paint please?
Old 18-02-07, 02:57 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss pixel
Do you mix the egg with the watercolour paint from a tube? what ratio of egg to paint please?
Yes. Approximately equal parts of paint/pigment and egg yolk.
Old 18-02-07, 03:40 PM

Kremer Pigments is an excellent store: http://kremer-pigmente.de/