Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 10-01-08, 03:45 AM
amrutaheda

Default what base is good?...masonite ,hard board?....

hello,
it is really confusing as to what base has to be selected as the surface for ET...some use masonite, some harboard, some composition board...which is the best of all and that doesn't bend after a time being?...is it so that there has to be a particular thickness of the board?...does it need to have a smoothy surface or rough?.......one last querry...is it available in art stores only or any general plywood shop?

i had left a querry in the last thread also...can ET be worked on rice paper pasted on the plywood?....if yes does that also need hide glue treatment?
Old 10-01-08, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Just replied re the board on your other thread. One of the things you have to realise about egg tempera is that it is a medium totally different to any other medium. It does require the right supports and ground......a rigid support and a glue gesso for the ground. Once the basics have been learned then you can go on to experimenting with other grounds.
The best boards...? that is a matter of choice and availability.........certainly hardboard (masonite) or medium density fibre board (MDF) are the most common. As for warping (bending) there is no definite guarantee with the different boards. Warping can be kept to a minimum by applying gesso to both sides of the panel.
As for thickness of the board, I use a minimum of 6mm but then again I do glue the panels to a backing board also 6mm. As a non stretchered board you really want at least 9mm.......
As for glueing rice paper to board, I cannot see the purpose........I take it that you would be applying gesso so why add an intermediate layer.
Gesso is the best ground on which to paint and it needs to be smooth. You really need to understand the basic fundamentals of tempera painting (all within this site) before progressing with any experimental methods.
Best of luck..........