Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 05-11-07, 06:58 PM
antonella

Question Tempera changing my colours...

Iíve been working with and creating my own egg tempera for less than a year. Now that Iím beginning to develop a body of work using Tempera, Iím starting to realize something about my paintings that is worrying me: the paint colours are shifting coloursÖ the colours are not remaining to their original colour, but changing colour during a very small period of time. I distinctively remember one of my paintings having a lot of turquoise in it, that colour has now turned to blue. Why is this happening? The primary colours (I have the three primary colour pigments to create my secondary colours) seem to be remaining only. Is this due to the pigments Iíve chosen? Or that I am using tap water rather than distilled in creating the tempera? Or is it due to my painting approach in using tempera? How can I prevent this from happening? Will varnishing my paintings prevent this from happening? Or maybe preservative? In other words, help?! Why is this happening?
Old 06-11-07, 11:16 AM

Is it possible that you used egg yolks that were deep in color? A darker, golden yolk can color shift pigments when mixed initially (causing whites to appear to be a pale yellow). Once the paint has been applied in thin layers and exposed to light over time, the initial yellow coloration of the yolk bleaches out. You wouldn't notice this color shift in high chroma colors, but you possibly could in others. This is just a guess since I don't know the exact pigments you used for your mixtures and whether the pigments were acquired from a reputable artist material supplier.
Old 06-11-07, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Well it certainly is not the fact that you are using tap water.....I use it all the time and have experienced no problems. My understanding is that the colour of the yolk has no bearing......OK the initial colour may be effected but within a day the yellowness of the yolk bleaches out. This leads me suspect the pigments you are using...........need a bit more info of the exact pigments you are using...............
Rob
Old 07-11-07, 04:33 AM
antonella

Default maybe this is why...

I am studying in Italy and am finding the eggs here to be a very dark yellowÖ I didnít think this would cause any problems. These are the pigment colours I am using: Yellow Ochre (Gamblin), Ultramarine Blue (Gablin), and Burnt Sienna (Williamsburg) Ė Iíd mix these to get my secondary colours, which Iím finding, are not remaining. I thought about this problem a lot in the last few days and I think I may know why the colours are shifting: could it be that I am using too little pigmentÖ I donít usually put as much pigment as the egg emulsion, I use very little of it. I also use a lot of water to push and pull colours on my paintings, could this be causing the problem too? Thank you for all your help in advance.
Old 07-11-07, 05:01 PM
Administrator

The important thing is to get the pigment to egg ratio correct. With egg yolks I will add just over a teaspoon of water and then use approximately equal volume of pigment paste to egg medium. The amount of water you subsequently add to the tempered pigment matters not.....less water for painting more water for glazing.
I can't say that I have any experience in using such a limited palette....I've found that just using primary colours and then mixing them caused the paint to go quite muddy and loose the fresh appeal of the paint......I certainly would not have chosen your colours to get the secondary colours....
Rob
Old 08-11-07, 05:39 PM

Default Grounds?

What are you using as a ground? It may be affecting the final color. Just a possibility. Rick
Old 08-11-07, 05:46 PM

Default turquoise?

It was an after thought for me, but how did you get turquoise using those three colors, or two of those three colors? I make a version of turquoise using basically even parts of Phthalo blue and Phthalo green.
Old 11-11-07, 12:22 AM
Kelley Vandiver

antonella, the problem might be your under painting. I find many people still use the old technique of making the under painting in sepia tones or in greens when doing portraits. These colors not only show through to differring degrees depending on top layers but they can leach up through the top layers over time. I always try to plan ahead and do the under painting in the same colors. If I know the pigment I want to end up with is going to be transparent (phthalo or quinacridones), I will definitely us the same tones underneath but probably in a more opaque manner. Sure, this takes some planning but it's worth it years later when it hasn't turned dark because of pentimento (that ghost image effect of leaching I mentioned).