Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 15-08-09, 05:43 PM

Default cherries

Last edited by enrico; 15-08-09 at 05:51 PM. Reason: no foto
Old 16-08-09, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Enrico,
Beautiful painting!
It's hard to believe you were able to get those saturated colors with egg tempera. You must have done a lot of very careful glazing. What red(s) do you use? Also, what is the size of the painting?
Do you ever show on this side of the Atlantic? I'd love to see your work in person. (It may be a while before I can afford a trip to Italy...)
All we have are bananas downstairs...
Congratulations on a magnificent job.

Phil
Old 17-08-09, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
Enrico,
Beautiful painting!
It's hard to believe you were able to get those saturated colors with egg tempera. You must have done a lot of very careful glazing. What red(s) do you use? Also, what is the size of the painting?
Do you ever show on this side of the Atlantic? I'd love to see your work in person. (It may be a while before I can afford a trip to Italy...)
All we have are bananas downstairs...
Congratulations on a magnificent job.

Phil
Hello Phil, the red ones that I have used for the cherries are red of cadmium and the varnish of garanza, the painting measure cm 70x50. Some years ago I have exposed my painting in the state of new york near the niagara falls. Perhaps if you finds an agent for mi or some gallery disposed to dealing my works I would be happy for showing them also in America.

Last edited by enrico; 17-08-09 at 10:21 AM. Reason: correction
Old 22-08-09, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Enrico,
A very fine painting. I love the intricate pattern of the basket against the more random pattern of the cherries. Despite such attention to linear movement and contours, you still achieve a believable sense of volume. Che bella.
Have you ever painted those baskets of clams and other shellfish like you see on the streets in Napoli? (I like the ones that squirt water out at you from their tubes -- but I guess the water sprays would be difficult to paint without looking very strange.)
Thank you for sharing the painting with us.
Dennis
Old 23-08-09, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H View Post
Enrico,
A very fine painting. I love the intricate pattern of the basket against the more random pattern of the cherries. Despite such attention to linear movement and contours, you still achieve a believable sense of volume. Che bella.
Have you ever painted those baskets of clams and other shellfish like you see on the streets in Napoli? (I like the ones that squirt water out at you from their tubes -- but I guess the water sprays would be difficult to paint without looking very strange.)
Thank you for sharing the painting with us.
Dennis
I have not painted molluschi, but I have eaten them to lunch with the pasta
ciao un caro saluto Enrico
Old 26-08-09, 07:22 AM

Thumbs up cherries

Holy smoke Enrico, this is just fabulous! You have great patience. Thanks for sharing about the varnish, I haven't heard of that one before. Are you applying it directly to the egg tempera?
Old 26-08-09, 05:25 PM

excuse me for the bad translation of the word " varnish of garanza" the correct term is " madder lake" in italiano "lacca di garanza"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona View Post
Holy smoke Enrico, this is just fabulous! You have great patience. Thanks for sharing about the varnish, I haven't heard of that one before. Are you applying it directly to the egg tempera?

Last edited by enrico; 26-08-09 at 05:26 PM. Reason: correction
Old 26-09-09, 05:05 PM

This is a fabulous painting and the lighting, detail, realism of both cherries and particularly the basket reflects an intensity and work ethic seldom seen these days. I am only curious about one thing, the rather simple two-toned background.

I cannot decide personally whether the simple background helps or hinders and I wonder what your (or indeed anyone's) thoughts are about it.

Bravo!
Old 27-09-09, 12:03 PM

I like the simple background. The basket and cherries are astonishingly detailed, sharp and well-observed. I feel that an equally-detailed background would pull attention away from that astonishing basket. As it is, the background is nondistracting.
Old 27-09-09, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
This is a fabulous painting and the lighting, detail, realism of both cherries and particularly the basket reflects an intensity and work ethic seldom seen these days. I am only curious about one thing, the rather simple two-toned background.

I cannot decide personally whether the simple background helps or hinders and I wonder what your (or indeed anyone's) thoughts are about it.

Bravo!
Alessandra Kelley has answered for me
ciao Enrico