Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 03-12-07, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Just have to agree.................Really, airbrushing is for a particular genre of painting and can be achieved with many other mediums.........ET is a linear type of painting and has to be kept within its limitations although we as 21st century ET painters have to attempt to exceed the boundaries. We do however have to accept that some things are not successful with ET with regards to 20th and 21st century technology.....but we must try..........we must also accept failure......
And I have to heartily agree with that. I don't think I would have even tried tempera if I hadn't read Vickrey's "New Techniques in Egg Tempera", which really dispelled the misconceptions that tempera was a rigid technique and had to be done just as it was in the Medieval times.
Old 04-12-07, 07:22 PM
Kelley Vandiver

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I was going to try it again but I just don't have the energy or time to waste on something that probably won't work. I am still going to be thinking about it and if I make a breakthrough, I will let everybody know but for now it's back to regular brushes.
Old 06-12-07, 02:00 PM

I wonder if you could airbrush ink and work ET on top of that. Quite a few airbrush artists use ink instead of acrylics. I actually cut my acrylics with ink when I airbrush, and use pure ink on occasion. I'm sure you'd have to watch the moisture on panel though, letting it dry well between applications.

However, I'm really not clear on how ET and modern inks interact though. Its pretty clear that Renaissance artists used ink as an underdrawing for ET but I can only presume that its composition was different than modern inks...which I think have shellac in them?
Old 08-12-07, 02:07 AM
Kelley Vandiver

Default Matt

Matt, interesting thought. I have decided to take a panel and cut it into strips and make an unofficial study of airbrushing egg tempera. The pigment that gave me the most trouble is/was phthalo blue and if I avoid it entirely, this might work. There are some pigments that just won't stay mixed...easily. The other thought I had was to start with thicker opaque paint and only do one or two layers as opposed to many thin layers that might be repelling each toward the end. I have to watch the saturation of the panel because the gesso had to be really wet by the end of the day, especially since I didn't have a hair dryer handy. Well, we shall see. I am still thinking that this could work.
Old 08-12-07, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
Matt, interesting thought. I have decided to take a panel and cut it into strips and make an unofficial study of airbrushing egg tempera. The pigment that gave me the most trouble is/was phthalo blue and if I avoid it entirely, this might work. There are some pigments that just won't stay mixed...easily.
For the hard-to-mix pigments that you really want to use for an airbrush experiment, try a dispersion (pigment pre-mixed in water). Kama pigments sells these, and I think there are other companies that make them. They're extremely concentrated and don't separate.
Old 08-12-07, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
and make an unofficial study of airbrushing egg tempera.
Unofficial or official.....your results certainly need posting here.....there seems to be little work on this aspect.........
Old 08-12-07, 11:26 PM
Kelley Vandiver

Default Brilliant Ideas!

JeffG, what a brilliant idea! That solution was just in front of my face (I have the link to Guerra Paint in my bookmarks and see it almost every day). I just placed an order for the pigment dispersions, now for the long wait. Living in Mexico means that this could be weeks but I will let you know what happens. Jeff, I can't believe I didn't think of this. If this works out, I will owe you!

More later.
Old 12-12-07, 08:42 PM

I have tried some airbrushing and I think the pigment drying in air before it hits the surface is the problem. It is actually a problem with other mediums in airbrush too. The solution is to make the mix quite watery. When I've done that I've had no problems with adhesion. I also think the using egg/oil ET will also make this a lot easier simply by slowing the evaporation rate in transition. Having said that, there may only be limited applications for ET in airbrushing anyway just as it has a somewhat limited asthetic appeal in other mediums as well.

Jeff Bryant