Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 09-03-08, 01:16 AM

Default Gold Leaf

Does anyone have any advice on the best place to buy gold leaf? I am open to experimenting with both real gold and composition leaf.

Thanks!
Old 31-03-08, 01:08 AM
Geo

Default Gold Leaf.

Hi there abcooke,

I am a guilder and supplier of genuine gold leaf in Australia.
I know that in Australia, art shops generally stock it in small quantities however it can get quite expensive. Recommended retail in art shops is AUD$105.00 per 25 8cm x 8cm leaves.
Try your local art shop and they may be able to direct you to something local, otherwise I am most happy to supply you (I only have genuine 24ct leaf).
Regards,

George
Old 07-04-08, 12:02 AM

The last time I needed any (but that was a long time ago) I got it by mail from New York Central ( http://www.nycentralart.com/ ). Their website looks as organized and convenient as their catalog ever did (which is to say, not a whole lot) , but I recall they had a stunning variety of fantastic art supplies and several pages of different types of gold leaf, real and imitation, as well as other precious and not so precious leafs (palladium, aluminum).
Old 07-04-08, 02:02 AM

Sinopia in San Francisco, http://sinopia.com sells leaf as well as tools and gilding supplies.
Old 08-04-08, 05:01 AM

Thanks, everyone. I will research these places.

I am trying to figure out now if I should spring for real gold leaf or be content with composition leaf. I would like to try both to experience the difference. But, I know it would cost a lot for the real gold! I wonder if I need all of the tools that are traditionally involved with real gold- the gilders cushion, tip, agate burner etc. ??

Also, have you experienced painting egg tempera on top of the leaf?
Old 08-04-08, 03:47 PM

I intend to use some gold leaf when I get a chance and the price of gold drops - I can get it at my local mint. As for painting on the gold leaf I believe it has to be first prepared by rubbing with a clove of garlic so that it will accept the paint.
Old 21-04-08, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
I intend to use some gold leaf when I get a chance and the price of gold drops - I can get it at my local mint. As for painting on the gold leaf I believe it has to be first prepared by rubbing with a clove of garlic so that it will accept the paint.
Spit works too. --Karen
Old 21-04-08, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcooke View Post
Does anyone have any advice on the best place to buy gold leaf? I am open to experimenting with both real gold and composition leaf.

Thanks!
Suppliers:
http://www.paperinkarts.com/
and
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/

I would recommend you start with patent gold -- it is much easier to handle. Real gold leaf is extremely thin and the smallest current of air will carry it off. Once you gain confidence with the patent gold, it is easier to move on to the real thing.

Karen