Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 01-04-09, 04:55 PM

Default Lift off and other stuff

Hi, I have been diligently studying and reading here and using claybords by ampersand and trying to figure out how to use tempera with marble... One thing I am frustrated with is lift-off even after the tempera has dried. Since I am new to tempera (and painting in general) and understand that a true gesso is needed I am wondering if I should abandon the claybords altogether. Since I am also interested in painting sculpture, my last question relates to another kind of lift-off; high relief.

I have buckets of marble dust and alabaster collected from years of sculpting and was wondering if I could mix that in with gesso and or perhaps dry-wall mud and texture panels with that and then sand, prime with gesso and apply tempera.

I must have 3d but am also unhappy without color from traditional marble sculpting and do not wish to use latex or acrylic or oils..

Any theoretical pointers or practicalities welcome..

Sincerely,

StevenW
Old 02-04-09, 02:52 PM

Hi Steven,

I can't help you with most of your question, but about the paint lifting off, I've been struggling with that recently, and PhilS kindly shared some tips with me about preventing 'lift-off', or 'pick-up', of the paint. Here's his posting about that to me.

http://www.eggtempera.com/forumnew/s...03&postcount=2

I hope this helps a little.
Old 04-04-09, 12:36 AM

That does help, thanks.