Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 17-12-10, 08:58 AM

Default Pop art?

Help please. I respect my art teacher for her knowledge, golden touch and her help in my progress in oil painting, But she doesn't know about the use of egg tempera - and doesn't read up about it. She's cynical about my work when I use it and says it looks like pop art. She dislikes strong colours and likes them to blend almost to the point of a slight haze.
There isn't much shadowing in my work with egg tempera. Is it really pop art? I love it and don't want to stop. Thank you for your help or advice.
Berenice.
Old 17-12-10, 03:08 PM

Not sure if there is anything wrong with POP ART. (short of it not being "New") May be there is some confusion between technique and medium going on here.
Old 20-12-10, 08:48 PM
Tempera Painter

Dear Berenice,

You can tell your teacher that Botticelli, Fra Angelico, Leonardo da Vinci, Fra Angelico, and all the other great artists of the Renaissance worked in egg tempera (among other mediums). They are not what I would call "pop" artists.

The descriptions of a typical tempera palette are varied. For example, Robert Vickrey calls it a “blonde” palette, Michael Bergt describes it as “brilliant” and “high-key”, while Andrew Wyeth uses only earth tones, a more muted range of hues. I’ve seen tempera paintings with the gentle tones of a faded watercolor; others brightly hued; some with the rich look of oil; others opaque and flat; most with a translucent, luminous glow. Ultimately the choice of a color, look and "style" is a personal one. A good tempera painter will experiment and eventually find the colors, technique and look that best suit both the medium and the artist’s individual vision. Tempera is capable of a great variety of effects, as evidenced by the gallery page on this web site. As to the "slight haze" that your teacher describes, I think I achieve a good blending of colors in my work.

Tempera is not a well known or well understood medium. Few people have experience with it, and without that intimacy people often jump to conclusions and cliches regarding it. So you are smart to come to a web site of people who know tempera well, and can attest to its rich possibilities.

The 14th century painter Cennino Cennini said about painting, "Begin by adorning yourself with these vestments: love, reverence, obedience, and constancy". The "reverence" you feel for your teacher is commendable. But I feel loving your medium, technique, and subject matter are even more essential to learning to paint well. So if you love egg tempera, stick with it - regardless of what others may say.
Old 25-12-10, 03:55 PM

Nothing wrong with pop art. It's not the style I use, but I respect it. Don't know if it's what you mean, but when I think pop art I think bright colors, sharp edges, and a certain sense of humor.

Koo Schadler is right that egg tempera is little understood and often stereotyped. It is a medium, like oil or watercolor, and has a lot of different possibilities for use. But sometimes people look at a tempera painting and see only the history of tempera -- or what they think is the history, anyway -- rather than the artwork in front of them.
Old 05-01-11, 07:01 PM
old fart and trophy hag

your teacher sounds like someone i had as a teacher once. her style was completely different than mine, as were her goals and her very reasons for painting. and she hated the way i painted, and took every opportunity to make fun of it, even suggesting on one painting that i was having trouble with that i scrub it and start over.

my advice is not to listen to the disparagements of other artists, teachers, peers or students. because as koo says, it's your art, your practice, and your purpose.

stick with it, and good luck.

jim's wife.