Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 19-09-08, 03:47 AM
KKSooter

Question question -- using egg tempera to paint on glass?

I am researching ways to paint russian florals on glass. I have used egg tempera to paint Icons on a wood surface. I need to achieve both semi-opaque and transparent glazes. Can I achieve this with egg tempera? Will the medium adhere to glass? Will the tempera "lift" when applying additional layers of paint? My goal is to illuminate the glass from behind.
Old 20-09-08, 01:02 PM
PaulS

KKS, I've never tried the technique you describe, but when you come to try it, you might consider lightly sandblasting the (back, paintable) surface of the glass with a fine abrasive, say 400 grit aluminium oxide.

That would give whatever medium you choose to paint with, some 'tooth' with which to hang on to the glass.

I can't vouch for the durability.

I paint on glass but I use firing enamels.
Old 21-09-08, 08:36 PM

I'm not sure how it would work with egg tempera, but it may be worth trying. I onced used oil on the back of a glass palette. Shiva claim that casein can be used on many surfaces including glass, and perhaps casein could make a ground/underpainting for other mediums on glass, but this is only a guess. Depending on which side you are painting on you may like to consider putting the image between two sheets of glass as it may scratch easily.

I wonder if stained glass artists would have any good advice. (I don't know if they ever use paints or stains, or just pure glass.)

Best of luck, jp. (:

Last edited by jpohl; 21-09-08 at 08:50 PM.
Old 22-09-08, 07:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

Sand blast the glass sound good to me and then just add a thin hand of rabit glue and see how that sticks, you can also try shellac but I dought id the glass pores by sand plasting could hold the shellac under heat, but then you could heat the glass to 120 deg cen. and see if it might bond

just thinking out load here

I guess its trial and error but you might also try a glass varnish as a base