Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Work In Progress

Work In Progress Egg Tempera paintings from start to finish

Old 01-04-11, 03:39 PM

Default Vanishing Point - Crow/Old house

Hello. I am nearing the final phases of my first ET that measures 24" wide by 20" high.
I previously submitted a thread on how to do the sky. It is still not quite where I want to be yet, but I am still tweaking it.
The main under drawing was rendered using silverpoint.
I have be an artist for over 25 years and have worked in many mediums and I must say ET is quickly becoming my favourite!
I would be very happy to receive any constructive criticism anyone may have.
Regards
Stephen Thompson

Old 13-04-11, 05:20 PM

Hi all. Here is the finished painting. I am also going to post in the critique area as I would appreciate any constructive criticisms! I should mention the photo on the left was photographed inside under studio lighting (very warm) and the one on the right was photographed today on a bright cloudy day which is much closer to the original.

Old 05-05-11, 10:54 PM

You may be new to egg tempera, but it's clear that you're bringing a great deal of experience to it. Lovely detail in this piece, and the size is ambitious for a first egg tempera. Great job! I especially love the detail in the broken pavement.
While you can see in another post that I am, myself, struggling with getting good reproductions, I can advise that you explore the white balance feature on your digital camera to avoid problems with color shifting under different light sources. I'm happy to expand if you'd like, though I'd probably start that discussion in a different forum header (e.g. "Other Art Related Issues").
Old 06-05-11, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the compliment. I have a D90 Nikon and I am playing with colour temperatures. I have found the best lighting is a bright cloudy day.

Stephen
Old 06-05-11, 05:40 PM

For a few dollars you can get either a photo gray reference card or some other photographic, calibrated neutral card/or set of cards. I shoot RAW files, and include the cards in the first shot of any given light/exposure combination. I can then measure the exact color temperature and tint balance from the included reference card, and apply that information to subsequent shots.
If you are shooting jpegs, you can use the same reference card(s) to fill the frame and set a white balance before proceeding to shoot your artwork.
When striving for accuracy, avoid using picture styles (on Nikon, these are things like "portrait," "landscape," "standard," or "vivid") especially if shooting jpegs. These alter tone curves, saturation, and gain on the RGB channels individually, dramatically affecting color balance and contrast.
Old 06-05-11, 05:55 PM

Hi Mat. I do use a gray card and it does help. I always shoot with RAW and in fully manual mode and a tripod of course.

Thanks for your help and your work is amazing! Something to aspire to.

Stephen