Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 29-11-05, 08:07 PM

Default Gesso Bumps

While sanding a gessoed board, I found I had in one corner some persistent tiny bumps, rather on the scale of a razor burn. They didn't sand down, but did seem to scrape some of the powdered gesso off my sandpaper, so I would end up with tiny "snowdrifts" in whichever direction I had last sanded.

Rubbing with a damp piece of linen did remove them, but I'm wondering what they were. They seemed speckles of a harder material. Now, I don't generally strain my gesso, but I do make it from scratch. Otherwise I might have suspected poorly dissolved granules of rabbitskin glue from a mix.

Anybody have any ideas or observations?
Old 03-01-06, 10:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis
Default Re: Gesso Bumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley
Otherwise I might have suspected poorly dissolved granules of rabbitskin glue from a mix.

Anybody have any ideas or observations?
I expected some of the REAL men to pop in and help a hand!

well I will agree with you on your observation that it is poorly dissolved granules of either your gesso mix rather than the rabbitskin glue, unless your gesso did not get wet glue to that point, Alessandra ever noticed how good quality coco ground pored into hot water doesn't dissolve but makes self sustaining small balls, similar to flour when you bake a cake, same thing.

have a good year, baking & painting!