Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 05-12-05, 02:32 AM

Default Bole under gold leaf?

I bought some redish pigment for bole, but not having done gold leaf before, is this pigment mixed with glue something like the gesso? What then if not? Egg? I understand this prevents the gold from looking green.
Bert
Old 05-12-05, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Bole under gold leaf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Congdon
I bought some redish pigment for bole, but not having done gold leaf before, is this pigment mixed with glue something like the gesso? What then if not? Egg? I understand this prevents the gold from looking green.
It also provides a smooth cushion on which the gold can lay. The bole is mixed with glue and applied in layers over areas where the gold is to be applied.

A good summary of water gilding technique is provided in Thompson's Practice of Tempera Painting. Don't try this without at least researching the method.
Old 05-12-05, 08:32 PM

Default Bole under gold leaf

Thank you David, I figured you would come through for me. I haven't unpacked everrything yet since moving to Texas from Illinois, but one thing I know, all the terrible things you have heard about movers...it's all true. ALL of my brushes were stolen! :-( I don't think they wanted my old brushes. They just happened to be in a box with a stained glass lamp shade. Bert
Old 05-12-05, 11:03 PM

Argh. Sympathy.

Is the pigment you got specifically sold for bole, or is it something you'd like to try? I ask only because in my experience bole-type clays need to be pretty slippery so they'll take a good shine.
Old 06-12-05, 03:29 AM

Default Bole under gold leaf

Yes Alessandra, I bought it from Kramer where it was listed as bole. It's an earthy red/brown color, but in my present state of unpacking, I have no idea where it is, but whereever it is, there's a kilo of it.
Bert