Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 28-08-14, 01:06 AM
old fart and trophy hag

Default venice?

has anybody been to venice? i want to go for six months and work, and tho there are various artist residencies, they cater to print media (i do that too) and cost several thousand dollars in fees. so i'm thinking of renting an apartment for six months. does anybody live in venice, or know anybody who lives in venice or has ideas for cheap digs?

thanks in advance.

btw my latest show at mason murer gallery in atlanta - http://masonmurer.com/exhibitions/, sorry no pictures. they were mostly pastels, anyway, but continued my usual dark themes.
Old 02-09-14, 06:01 PM
old fart and trophy hag

Default bump

really, no venice tales?
Old 03-09-14, 02:28 PM

Sorry, Never been there, unless you mean Venice, California
Old 06-09-14, 07:31 PM
Tempera Painter

Hi Jim,

I have Venice tales, but don't know if any of them will help you find an inexpensive place to live. Being something of an internet neanderthal, I'm probably the last person to give out advice about finding places on line, but here goes - have you tried any of the sites that people use to rent out there homes, like VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner)?

The winters are damp and chilly (Northern Italians don't tend to heat their homes the way, for example, New Englanders do, and those 500 year old thick, palazzo walls tend to hold the cold) and the streets are not uncommonly flooded then - but its quiet, still magical and lovely (better than the mobs you'll have to negotiate in summer). If you can manage to be there in February, Carnivale is remarkable, especially for an artist (a visual wonderland). Be sure to get a vaporetti pass (its like a bus pass - hope on and off at your pleasure - individual tickets are a waste of time and money). Last time I was in Venice (I taught a tempera workshop there October 2011) the restaurant food was mostly not very good (lots of cheap, bland pasta for tourists) and/or extremely expensive, so make sure you have a kitchen wherever you rent (there are still plenty of great little delis and veggie markets).

I'm thinking of a plan similar to yours (maybe for just a month) at some point, and wish I had a palazzo too. Let me know if you find any useful leads.

Koo
Old 09-09-14, 07:35 AM

I've been to Venice many times but never spent the night there. So I can't help you. However my brother has stayed there, and him and his friend rented a room for very few euros just behind St Mark square. The catch? It was just a basic room, nothing fancy. In fact it was less than fancy. The kitchen and bathroom was shared, that sort of thing. Now, that was only for a few days, but for six months I don't know what kind of bargain you can get.

May I say, I'd live in a cave to spend 6 months in Venice, painting.

It is true that winters are very cold up there, and I remeber my feet were thawing for two days after one particular visit!

Just follow the locals for food and shopping. Avoid the touristic shops because you will be asked to pay too much. In some shops you can bargain a lot, and if you try to leave and the seller calls you back then you can bargain some more. If he doesn't, then that's his lowest price.
Make sure you visit everything, monuments etc. Venice is not overrated, there is something amazing everywhere.

If you go, do visit the museum of the greek orthodox church. You'll see icons of course, not western art, but they are all egg tempera...

Keep us updated about your visit. It will be wonderful.
Old 17-09-14, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I spent a few days there 35 years ago, and one very short visit since. I'd love to go back and live for a few weeks, and also explore the Veneto region. The city is not to everyone's taste. I, and untold multitudes find it seductive and beautiful, but some find it too crowded and dirty. I suppose it has to do with one's ability to see decay romantically. It does have a bone-chilling damp cold in the winter and the November floods are at once fascinating and off-putting. Here's a link to a blog by Erla Zwingle, who is an American journalist living in Venice, and who writes entertaining posts on everyday life there: http://iamnotmakingthisup.net/
Old 27-03-15, 02:40 PM
old fart and trophy hag

thanks everybody for your input. we found a nice place on sant'elena where we could have the grandchild, and we've been in venice since mid-january. we go home mid-april, only a few weeks away. my wife and i have been very productive; altho in watercolor and pastel rather than tempera, as i wanted portability above all. we're detailing our trip on www.irishitinerary.wordpress.com.

ps, can anybody tell me how to update the member gallery? i have some new paintings i want to show, and also want to update my website details. thanks bunches.
Old 27-03-15, 03:04 PM
old fart and trophy hag

now that i've read everybody's responses a little better, i'd like to respond to individual comments. koo, we stayed in a place we found on vrbo, and got a decent price, but you would do well to check out trovacasa.net, a local rental agency. they have prices as low at $800/month. the winter wasn't cold at all, more like atlanta than new york. the tourists are only now becoming a problem, and carnival was easily avoided if desired, but fun to photograph for future paintings. we haven't met erla, but i have corresponded with her several times. there are also other expats in venice blogs we've been reading. you walk a lot, but if you carry a camera, you get a photo opportunity every time you turn a corner. jeff, we have of course visited the icons of the greek church, as well as the early renaissance exhibits of the accademia. we'll be going back to see the icons again - they're in tempera!!!
Old 26-04-15, 01:59 PM
Tempera Painter

Thanks for the update, Jim. Taking off for 3 months in Venice is a very inspiring tale, and I'm glad to hear you were warm! I expect many paintings will come from such an immersion in the Venetian world.

Koo