Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 21-07-16, 07:01 PM
old fart and trophy hag

Default ? art conservators' forum???

a million years ago someone told me about a forum for art conservators, archival methods, stuff like that. it was very good, with very informed people - professionals, and idiots like me could ask dumb questions about the misuse of art materials, and they would answer.

but i've changed computers, and don't remember the name of it, and now i'd like to find it again, so please, if anybody knows what i'm talking about, please let me know.
Old 24-07-16, 01:34 PM

If you're thinking of AMIEN (Art Materials... something something,) that forum is no longer running.
Old 24-07-16, 08:08 PM
old fart and trophy hag

omg yes that's them. i've been searching using all sorts of search terms.

gasp, they're gone waaaaaah.

any idea what happened?

thanks for the info.
Old 30-07-16, 11:52 AM
Tempera Painter

AMIEN was a great resource. Unfortunately the man who founded it, Mark Gottsegen, died. From what I understand he held exclusive rights to the site, so it can no longer operate without his permission, so to speak - at least, that's what I've heard. I've also heard from a couple of people that used to advise on AMIEN that there is an effort to revise the forum, under a new name, but as far as I know that hasn't happened yet.

Koo
Old 07-08-16, 09:33 PM
Tempera Painter

By the way, two of the people who used to advise at AMIEN and answered many of the questions - George O'Hanlon at Natural Pigments and Sarah Sands of Golden Paints - are still accessible for questions. George, via the forum at the Natural Pigments website (http://www.naturalpigments.com/forum/); and Sarah (and/or her technical staff, who are also very knowledgeable) at Golden's Website (http://www.goldenpaints.com/contact_us). They might be able to address questions that you have.
Old 10-10-16, 06:29 PM
Tempera Painter

I just heard about the new website that will replace AMIEN - it's to be called MITRA. I found a description of it on line (below). It's expected to go online sometime this fall.

MITRA: MATERIALS INFORMATION AND TECHNICAL RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS

We are excited to introduce a new online forum and website created through a collaboration between manufacturers of art materials, experts in the field of art, conservators and conservation scientists. Developed by Brian Baade and Kristin DeGhetaldi of the Department of Art Conservation at the University of Delaware, MITRA –which stands for Materials Information and Technical Resources for Artists – is a new resource for artists. While taking its inspiration from the late Mark Gottsegen’s AMIEN forum, it has also expanded it in scope. MITRA will cover traditional subjects such as oil, acrylic, encaustic, tempera and watercolor paints, as well as more modern, experimental art materials. The forum will draw from the both the scientific expertise of conservation and the practical expertise of manufacturing. Authorities in both fields will serve as website moderators and informational resources.
Old 15-11-16, 12:53 AM
Tempera Painter

Below is the link for the site that replaces AMIEN. The new site, MITRA, is up and running.

Koo

https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/