Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 15-01-06, 01:07 AM
alexgarcia

Default One Year Later

I have been painting in egg tempera now for about a year. I started back in November of 2004. At the time I posted my first work which is below. I thought it would be interesting for me to see how much I have progressed by painting the exact same painting again. Below are the results. I appreciate this website because it has contributed to my development both in drawing and also in painting. Thank you to all who participate here sharing their know-how and insights about this wonderful medium. Maybe next year I will do the same painting again to see how much I have learned this year. Thank you for looking.

Old 15-01-06, 10:00 PM

Default One year later

A fine piece of work Alex. I hope I can improve as much.
Old 16-01-06, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Hey Alex,
Nice job showing the before and after. I wish I had photos of my early work (on the other hand, maybe not...). Tremendous improvement! The cool, textured background on the new one works well with the warm flesh tones in the foreground. Nice balance overall.
If you want to see some subtle skin tone work, check out Andrew Wyeth's painting titled "Braids." You can almost see the blood coursing beneath the skin.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Phil
Old 16-01-06, 03:20 PM
alexgarcia

Bert: Thank you for looking.

Phil: Thank you for looking and for the recommendation. I will spend some time looking at the work you are referring to.
Old 16-01-06, 04:52 PM

Default Marvelous Work

Thank you for the before and after. I am struck by how much more complex the emotional content of the recent work seems. It is very reminiscent to me of the work of George Tooker.

The use of bright colors in the first painting conveys strong emotion of determination to me, but my emotions seem less nuanced than the response I have to the second version. The second version conveys to me feelings of determination, yet resignation, strength along with contemplation of limits. I am drawn to look at the second version, again and again, as my reactions change.

It will be interesting to see where your work goes over the coming year.
Old 16-01-06, 05:00 PM
alexgarcia

Rosemary thank you for that insightful response to my work.
Old 18-01-06, 12:00 AM

Alex,

This is really cool. I commented on your development with the Moe piece, but I wonder, what does your dad think? Last year you gave him more hair.

Doug
Old 18-01-06, 12:15 AM
alexgarcia

Thanks Doug. That is really funny. He did have a rough year. :)
Old 26-01-06, 07:37 PM
Vanthoff

beautifull!! l love the folds and texture on the shirt and your compostition is fantastic!! Great feelling, very much a presence about the picture on the right... wonderful
thank you
Old 28-01-06, 07:53 PM
Jane

Alex, I have enjoyed looking at all your paintings & web site, but wow! - this one year later painting comparison is amazing - the same power, but the subtlety of the second painting is a beautiful thing to see.