Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 30-01-06, 07:29 PM

Default How best to remove ET in painting

I have a painting posted on the ET critique forum. After looking at the best way to improve it, I have decided to take out the peaches which seem to be fighting with the rest of the painting. If I do this, what is the best way to go about it? Painting over? Scraping out?
Thanks for any suggestions
Old 31-01-06, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Hi Jean,
If you're going to try to make them disappear and paint the background in their place -- rather than modify them somehow or paint other objects into their general position -- I think maybe it's best you scrape them out. A little pen knife works well, after which you will probably need to do a little fine sanding to feather the edges. If you have a copy of one of the Robert Vickery books, he writes about making changes like that. Depending on what the areas are like surrounding the deletions, don't be surprised if you have to carry your repaint out a little ways to tie into the older work.
If you're nervous about pulling out the scalpel, perhaps try overpainting them first to see if that will work.
Just a radical thought, though: What would you say about painting a whole new panel reflecting the changes you'd like to make? Sometimes it's easier to make a new one than make a major edit....
D.
Old 31-01-06, 02:40 PM

Default How best to remove ET

Dennis, thanks for riding to the rescue so quickly! Well, I did remove the peaches. Used a very small thin painting knife. The edge of it. Then I did as you suggested and lightly sanded and buffed the areas. Now I'll go to the next phase__the cover-up. I'll try and post the result.
Jean