Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 27-05-06, 07:42 AM

Default Orchids

10"x10" (300lb Arches)

I started this the other night as a watercolour, but decided to do it as a detailed tempera painting. I am doing a series of four different orchids for my mother-in-law that lives in Korea. This is my first attempt at flowers. Thanks and take care.
Old 31-05-06, 01:32 AM
Mona Diane

Default Orchid painting

Brian,

The orchids are so beautiful, I wish you were calling it 'done' already.
It's your prerogative to continue, (as the artist of course!), but it has such beauty and power in it's simplicity, and also retains the watercolor feel. Lovely!

Mona
Old 31-05-06, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Orchid painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Diane
Brian,

The orchids are so beautiful, I wish you were calling it 'done' already.
It's your prerogative to continue, (as the artist of course!), but it has such beauty and power in it's simplicity, and also retains the watercolor feel. Lovely!

Mona
Aloha and thank you Mona for your comments, and yes, even my wife suggested that I just finish up the stem and leaf on this and call it done too. So I am debating whether to do this or not. Thanks again and take care!
Old 31-05-06, 09:09 PM

I had an art teacher once that said it took two people to make a painting.One to paint it, the other has a 2x4 so he can hit him over the head when it's finished. Bert LOL :lol:
Old 04-06-06, 09:15 PM

Now framed, is the lavendar metal frame too much though? Or should I go with a natural oak frame? I always have trouble framing my works, what's the general consesus out there? Or should we start a new thread in the other section about framing your work? Thanks and take care!
Old 05-06-06, 12:17 PM

Default Orchids

Brian, the lovely orchids are so ethereal that I think an oak frame would be too earthy-looking. I think I would have gone with, perhaps, a brushed silver or greyish metal frame, though. Just my opinion, of course.
Jean
Old 06-06-06, 02:29 AM

I hate metal frames....unpainted. I agree that the delicate subject needs a thin receding frame. In other words, you did fine.
Old 12-06-06, 04:36 PM

Default Orchids

Brian,

I have developed a personal bias against metal frames in general, but I must say that I don't mind this lavendar metal frame around this particular painting at all. I agree that it is just fine.

One comment about the use of metal frames which has led me to my bias:
some group shows and competitions have rules barring the use of metal section frames. This is something to consider if you like to enter competitions. In the world of miniature painting, which I also participate in, the framing rules alone can just drive you nuts...not just about no metal section frames, but no hair-line cuts on matts, sometimes no saw-tooth hangers, sometimes ONLY saw-tooth hangers, etc. So I find myself absurdly altering a painting if it gets entered into more than one competition. It seems like silly stuff to me, but it's all part of the competition 'game'.

On the no hair-line cuts rule, I tried eight times to cut a double matt (for a competition mini in egg tempera) straight without hairlines, and finally got it on the ninth try. Good thing that I was feeling patient, because it won me my first 'First Prize'! Lesson learned about 'playing the game', at least if you have enough patience to honor all the rules.

I agree that it might be nice to have a separate thread for framing discussions. There is so much to be said on this topic.

Mona