Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 22-06-06, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default A Lecture on Iconography

I’m posting this for a friend. Should be of interest to all egg tempera painters, not just iconographers:

On Tuesday, July 11, in the Pickering room of Camden Public Library in Camden, Maine, Father Andrew Tregubov, a master iconographer, will give a slide lecture on the iconography of the ascetic monk Gregory Kroug. Father Andrew photographed Kroug’s icons and wrote a book, “The Light of Christ: Iconography of Gregory Kroug.”

Andrew Tregubov was born in Moscow, Russia in 1951. He emigrated to the US in 1975 and has lectured on iconography at schools and universities around the country. In 1995 he was awarded the New Hampshire Council on the Arts Discovery Award. In his nomination, Burt Feintuch, Director of the Center of Humanities at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, wrote, “Celebrated in American church communities, passionately devoted to his art, Father Tregubov is not known widely in the secular world. We should ‘discover’ this excellent artist, recognizing and appreciating his very significant contribution to a highly valued art form...”

Gregory Kroug was born in Russia in 1909. He emigrated to France to escape religious persecution following the Russian revolution. In Paris, he belonged to a small but brilliant group of Orthodox theologians, lay persons and monastics. He became a monk and lived a rigorous ascetic life of poverty. Although Kroug created more than 550 icons and wall paintings, his fame was not wide. His icons, because of the inferior quality of his materials, pollution and general neglect have had a very short life. Currently no effort is being made to preserve and restore Kroug’s icons so Father Andrew’s slides may well be the most lasting testimonial to the work of Gregory Kroug.

The presentation willl be at 6:30 pm, followed by a reception.
Old 22-06-06, 08:39 PM

Default A Lecture on Iconography

Thanks very much for sharing that, Phil. Would that I could attend.
Old 23-06-06, 02:02 AM

Thanks Phil:

I need another trip down the coastline and I may be able to fit that lecture in to my schedule this summer! If not, I will show up someday and track you down. My best regards, David :-)
Old 28-08-06, 02:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

Phil how did the presentaion go! [ turn out in numbers that is]

you guys will be supprised to know that even in greece with such a long history of ET in icons we have many small groups and little interest, most people are starters at the age of 40+ but most ico painters are geting the cold market affect after the explotation of first screenprint small icons for 30-50 euros compared to the average market price for a mary with chist @ 200-300 euros 40 x 30cm

my concern for selling ET contemporary paintings is a prority, but there are so few who actually care, most [90%] just want a oil painting
Old 29-08-06, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Hi Dimitris,
Turnout was very good. About 40 people. He didn't say a word about ET technique, though, which was too bad. I did get a chance to chat with him afterward. He was an interesting guy.
Phil