Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 23-11-06, 07:52 AM
mrbythatmuch

Default acrylic gesso

any reason that acrylic gesso can't be used as a ground for ET painting?

or

any reason that acrylic medium can't be added to the traditional gesso to give it more flexibiliy?
Old 23-11-06, 03:43 PM

well the reason i know it doesnt work is because i didnt believe the u cant use acrylic gesso tried it and the ET falls right off and the drying time is dif to so dont waste your time trying and as far as the the other question i dont think acrylics and ET are not good friends
Old 24-11-06, 01:47 AM

I haven't tried it, but all of the references I've seen indicate that egg tempera does not adhere reliably to acrylic primer.
Old 24-11-06, 03:00 PM
Administrator

For more discussion on this, see the "Tempera Show in NYC" thread in "The Coffee Shop"
Old 15-03-09, 02:45 AM

In 15 years of sold work, I have never had a problem with acrylic gesso on masonite for ET. The same is true of a painter friend who has made several ETs over 40 years. There is a lot of awful artist's materials so one must be careful. I use Golden acrylic products only. The traditional supports & grounds which I have used are without doubt 90%+ reliable but I would prefer to spend more time painting than making panels.

Last edited by rkersting; 16-03-09 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Refine report onacrylic gesso
Old 15-03-09, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Link to Show in New York mentioned by Jeff
http://www.eggtempera.com/forumnew/showthread.php?t=218
Old 18-03-09, 03:12 PM
Tempera Painter

Conservators, including Ross Merrill at the National Gallery in Washington DC, are very clear about painting egg tempera on acrylic gesso. It is not archival. Depending on the conditions under which the painting was made and is kept, it may last for many years. Then again, if adverse conditions arise, the tempera layers and acrylic ground can go their separate ways fairly quickly - within a year or even less. I saw a contemporary tempera painting on the wall of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts that was full of cracks and flakes. Even though it is physically possible (you can of course literally apply egg tempera to an acrylic gesso ground) it is, without a doubt risky - the science backs this up.

Just as Michael Bergt said on the Tempera Show in NY posting, the artists who use acrylic gesso generally do so for its convenience, not because they've proved it archival. Last year Doug Safranek and I spoke about his panels and he mentioned he is rethinking his use of acrylic gesso.

There is also the matter of the working properties of acrylic gesso. I know a few people who work well on it, but most tempera artists I've spoken with find its surface far too slick, and have a hard time building layers. True gesso on the other hand has a wonderfully receptive surface for egg tempera.

Its fine for experienced tempera painters to make an informed choice regarding their ground, but I don't want beginners to hear that acrylic gesso is fine, work on it, and then become discouraged by how egg tempera paint behaves atop it. If you are a beginner, I encourage you to work with true gesso panels. While learning anything new can be challenging at first, making panels from scratch is not difficult - it just takes practice. There are many recipes available, and I am happy to share my own with anyone who asks. And if you don't want to make your own panels, there are resources for true gesso panels on line. Panels from www.truegesso.com are a good place to start, as they are both well made and affordable.
Old 18-03-09, 03:18 PM
Tempera Painter

One more thing....as further encouragement to beginning painters, I can make a year's worth of true gesso panels in about 4 days of work. Granted, there is a learning curve to making them, but once understood it is not a huge investment of time. You can choose the highest quality ingredients, you'll understand your ground better, and consequently it may make you understand your paint better.
Old 22-03-09, 06:04 PM

Default acrylic gesso

Dear Koo Schadler,
Your points are well taken. Nolo contendere. Thanks for the info on truegesso.com.
I merely wished to report my experience (15 years) and that of John Yerger (40 years) regarding the satisfactory short term durability of ET over acrylic gesso in our case. I felt acrylic gesso was being beaten up on a bit too much generally.
Merril’s bottom line, "long term durability…is still unknown".
So why have I used acrylic gesso? Maybe I didn’t know any better ... I’m lazy…I hate cooking…rights for rabbits but not chickens…I’m cheap…I’m short term…it’s there (I,ve got gallons of the stuff) but for me it has worked with no problems. I’ve got some real gesso panels lying around. They seem to work real well too.
Respectfully, Richard
Old 22-03-09, 06:08 PM

I'll be sure to indicate in the future what grounds/supports are used for archival purposes.