Default "David" in tempera grassa

Hi

what do you think of thoses ones?

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=david1yt2.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=david2ac2.jpg

Thanks for any coment :-)

Sabine
Old 23-11-06, 03:50 PM

love the pics good detail im a sucker for more backround play kinda looks like gesso still but that is not a complaint good work
Old 24-11-06, 12:44 AM

I like the combination of realistic facial features and very abstracted body shapes. Are these from photographs? They are quite lively, only I know how quickly small children move.

I think the thin, washy paint is very successful on the child's hair. I was going back and forth on the shirt (Alizarin Crimson?), but I think the transparency there adds to the abstract shape and thus is also successful.
Old 24-11-06, 09:04 AM

Thanks for your answers :grin:

the background really isn't just gesso, although I must admit it rather looks like it, at least on the photograph (sorry it isn't better, that's the best I can do!) - in fact there are at least 10 layers on this background: flashy green, then white, then white-blue-grey, then white, then a littlle green again, then more white. I'm still hesitating, but I'm not a big fan of backgrounds anyway...

Alexandra, yes, they're from photographs, I always work from photographs (except for once, 10 years ago...) - I'm better inspired by reality then by imagination...

the red of the shirt is made of a first layer english red mixed with yellow ocre and then english red mixed with red ocher. Really quickly done, like the hairs (yellow ocre with a little english red) - the most difficult part in my opinion is to stop touching it when it's fine...
Old 24-11-06, 04:49 PM

dont let me discourage u in the least bit ones own art is ones own art and u are really good and i have no formal training ex my fathers guidence from a young age and his point to fill the nagative space. so thats where that comes from hope to see more from u if i could put my paintings on this site i would but i am what u call computer stupid maybe when i crack this mystery box open it will pour its secrets out

p.s. i havent touched a computer since i picked up my bass guitar and paint brushes 6to 7 years ago..damn technology
Old 26-11-06, 04:44 PM

Don't worry mark, I'm not discouraged, I appreciate the feed back :grin:

To put your pictures on this site (or any site!) you can use this link: http://imageshack.us/
- free and easy, if you don't mind too much a litle inappropriate advertinsing...

Alexandra it took me some time to realise that maybe you thought I could have painted from "direct observation" - I wouldn't even dream of it!! But I could try some self-portrait one of those days...