Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 12-02-07, 09:50 PM

Default when do I mix linseed oil with tempera paints?

HI as you probably can already guess I am new to this technique and appreciate all the suggestions everyone has posted. I would like to know when I need to use linseed oil with my paint mixture and how much ratio of oil to paint. Do I need to add distilled water to this mixture (or anything else appart from egg) and why not (if none is needed). I also would like to know wether I need to use refined, stand oil or some other type of linseed oil to mix with my pigments, what are the differences between using oil and oil-free paints?
Old 12-02-07, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Miss P
Me again.........
As a quick reply to the actual question..........Never.........but then those who do the oily tempera thingymajig......over to them.........
RM
Old 13-02-07, 02:37 AM

I think ET is harder to use when it has oil added (to a maximum of about equal parts oil and yolk then equal parts of that mixture to water with lots of shaking in between) but I think some will disagree. The conventional oil to use is stand linseed oil. Actually some small addtions of resin turpentine are often used at this point as well. By this stage I think you might as well start using oil paints. The colours lose a lot of their high tone (and luminosity) with oil added so one of the distinctive effects of ET that oil paint can't really duplicate successfully is going missing.

jeff
Old 13-02-07, 11:51 PM

Default linseed oil

Hi, why is there such a difference of opinion on using linseed oil or not? Is it for purist reasons or practical ones?
Old 14-02-07, 03:40 PM

Just in terms of identification. By adding oil, the paint no longer performs as it would under it's own conditions. It's a perfectly acceptable manner of painting, but a different one (tempera grassa.) I paint often with water and oil emulsions, using egg and other emulsifiers, but I refer to them as oil paintings.

I typically use stand oil slowly mixed into the yolk like making mayonaise, and then an equal volume of water with a few drops of vinegar. Refined linseed oil is less viscous and easier to mix, but dries a bit more slowly.
Old 14-02-07, 04:48 PM

Walnut oil and damar also combine rather nicely eith egg yolk
-eric
Old 15-02-07, 10:29 AM

hi

I'm one of those egg/oil emulsions adepts :lol:
I find it MUCH easier to use (especially for "bigger" scales), and don't notice so much difference with the colours

I use 1 (or 2) tea spoon poppy oil for one yolk, mixed like a mayonnaise like said before + 1 teaspoon turpentine with or without damar resine) + 1 teaspoon spike lavender oil (facultative)

there are thousands of recipes

I find the recipe half oil/half yolk+water really difficult to use, though... I think you shouldn't add more than 2 teaspoons of oil for 1 yolk

Sabine

and it's NOT like oil painting, for as far as I'm concerned :grin:
Old 15-02-07, 04:47 PM

I bow to your expertise. I probably haven't tried it enough to know better. I don't like all the sticky oil :).

jeff
Old 15-02-07, 09:01 PM

Tube egg temperas are egg-oil emulsions (Probably. They won't say.). I've used homemade egg-oil paints, but I like the results of pure egg just fine and the egg-oil thing is a little more complicated.

You do have to mix the yolk and oil before you make up your paint. Personally I don't care for the smell, but the results can be quite lovely. They act just like a cross between egg tempera and oils -- That is, they dry slower than tempera but faster than oils, are deeper and more transparent than tempera but less so than oils, etc. You have to paint with them like tempera -- No impasto allowed.
Old 15-02-07, 10:55 PM

yes, you should try "pure" ET first anyway, otherwise it's difficult to manage... In books they usually say you should get used first with ET and, for exemple, the way it is better used with nearly no paint on the brush... I agree with that.

jeff, I got the sticky feeling with the half yolk/half oil+water recipe, not at all with the other recipe I mentionned above...