Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Other Art Related Issues

Other Art Related Issues Discuss other art related issues not connected with tempera

Old 15-02-07, 09:15 PM

Default Sort of Like Cows on Parade

I'm excited and a little nervous. I've been accepted as one of the artists to paint a 1.6 meter-diameter fiberglass globe to be placed in Grant Park on the Chicago lakefront this summer. (see http://www.coolglobes.com/about.htm )

This is outside of my usual range of artworks, but it's a cause I'm willing to support (They wanted solutions and ideas to combat global warming, something it would be nice if the USA got on the ball about). It also has to be weatherproof, so it's back to the ol' acrylics, rather than my usual run of egg tempera. Also I can't fit it into the house, so I'll have to paint it in the unheated detached garage -- I'm really hoping this cold snap ends soon.

Also it's WAY more public than most of the work I've done. It's kind of exciting. I'm under no illusions that this will bring fame to the artists, but I'm pleased to be a part of the project. Glee!
Old 16-02-07, 03:15 AM

Congratulations Alessandra. I'm really proud of you :!:
Old 16-02-07, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Bravo, Alessandra!
What are you going to paint? (How about George W sitting in a liferaft saying, "Well, at least I made America safe from TERRORISTS!" and a big ol' shark about to bite the bottom of the boat).
Old 16-02-07, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Wow.....I could become rather politically incorrect about the issue of global warming and GWB's denial of the problem and am rather interested in the general US views of this really serious situation.
Well done Alessandra, get THE message across, it is a global issue which (close to home) will be a problem in my grandson's life-time!!!!! Already we in the UK are feeling the effects of it....changes in weather patterns, the wild life not knowing whether it is winter, spring or summer, serious coastal errosion........I could go on.

Remaining politically correct :-?
RM
Old 17-02-07, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Sorry, couldn't resist a little political "humor."
But seriously, Alessandra, global warming is an issue that a significant number of people are still in denial about. Any effort to illuminate this problem and possibly propose solutions is a worthwhile endeavor.
Maybe you could post pictures of your completed globe(?)
Phil
Old 17-02-07, 06:26 PM

Maybe so. I haven't actually got the thing yet. And yes, the situation is serious. I have said so for about ten years now. The self-serving denial of global warming has been annoying, if not infuriating, for all that time. But better to try to do something about it than grind my teeth over the naysayers.

My design as approved by the Cool Globes committee is Wind Power. It's going to be bands of scenes, blue-and-green for eco-friendly scenes, orange-and-brown for bad choices, and the whole thing is supposed to resemble Jupiter from a distance. Of course, this plan still has to be implemented and we'll see how it comes out in reality.

And yes, I am aware that wind power is nuanced and has its own difficulties. I'm just trying to get across a simple message.

Maybe I should post some of my regular work here first so people can see the sort of stuff I paint normally. Or you can check out my website at http://www.alessandrakelley.com/ -- I haven't updated it in awhile, but there are some good images there.
Old 19-02-07, 02:22 AM

Default globe

Al, I make no political statement, but I wonder if there are doubts about the adherence of whatever paint your going to use. Please write me if there are doubts.
Old 23-02-07, 06:05 PM

Dunno yet, but thanks very much for the offer, Bert.

I was at a salon last night and met a couple of other artists who are also going to be working on the Globes project. They already have contracts (I don't -- apparently my concept doesn't have a sponsor yet), which include information on priming (which we will have to do ourselves) and varnishing.

The artist couldn't recall the particulars, but thought the priming was something toxic. Oh boy. Happily I have a respirator and a garage.

Beyond that, I was planning on using acrylic paints.
Old 03-03-07, 04:37 PM

Default Painted Globe

Congratulations! You're going to enjoy this project.

I did a Dala Horse for a hospital fundraiser here. Our fiberglass horses were ready to paint -- we didn't need to prime them except that the fiber glass was gray. I started by painting it with white latex paint. I used latex for the body color along with acrylic for the other colors. You can also mix in a product from Golden called GAC 200 which is positively indestructible and nearly impossible to remove (it will stick to anything). I used it for the saddle because I didn't have the color I wanted so I made my own. Afterward I sprayed it with an acrylic sealer.

I don't have a digital picture but you can find the Dala horses through the websited for Swedish Hospital: www.swedishhospital.com, then search the site for Dala Horses. You'll get two matches -- click on the one that is Artists' profiles and you'll find pictures of all the horses. Mine is Merry-go-Dala, second row, right end.

Good luck. Have fun. Keep your sense of humor!

Direct link.....
http://www.swedishhospital.com/Custo...6-9697E932D610
Old 11-03-07, 12:54 PM

Oh, neat, they're like the Swedish folk horse carvings.

Well, I now have a contract and a sponsor (don't know who yet, though).

I will have to prime the globe. They "strongly" recommend a "shellac based primer" such as Zinzer or Kilns, whatever those are. And for varnishing they suggest "Lascaux(Swiss) UV Varnish", but "Please do not use Pebeo". I don't know what Pebeo is, although I vaguely associate the name with really cheap, low quality art supplies.

I guess I'll go do some web research, and call on the expertise of Bert and others with more experience than I in these things.

I am planning on using acrylics (mostly Golden) between the priming and the varnish.

Got to get the contract back now so I can get my globe. They have to be finished by 22nd April. Whee!