Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 02-05-07, 02:22 PM

Default Re-Using Old Panels -- Help?

I have a half-done painting that failed utterly. I want to re-use the board. The painting is about a year old. Can I simply paint over it, or should I scrape down to the gesso first? (Or, more likely, scrape down to the board and re-gesso)

Has anybody else painted over oldish egg tempera? I hear tell that after a while the surface is no longer conducive to proper adhesion. The longest I have gone before is four months, and that was to finish a painting I had already started, not cover up an old one.

BTW I took a good long look at a Geo. Tooker painting at the (fabulous!) Art Chicago exhibit last weekend and hope soon to report about it. He, I understand, can take a year to finish a painting, so maybe it's not so bad?
Old 02-05-07, 02:46 PM

I do re-gesso the paintings I don't like - just send them a little and then a few more gesso coats... until now it seem OK!!
Old 02-05-07, 03:20 PM
Administrator

I've sanded off paintings on a few occassions and re-used the panels. You do need to get all the paint off.... down to the nice white gesso....well some of it may be slightly colour stained! I've not had any problems doing this.
Rob
Old 02-05-07, 11:26 PM

Frankly I was being lazy and not wanting to sand. But after reading these I figured that was silly (and more work and fuss than doing the right thing in the first place). So I put on my protective gear, sanded the old thing down to the gesso, more or less, and have added a few coats of new gesso.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-07, 12:08 PM

Since I normally gesso both sides of a board I sometimes just use the other side. I figure that the old painting acts as extra protection for the back. Or if I don't like it I just paint over it with some white.

jeff
Old 03-05-07, 12:14 PM

Ah, but I use the panels that have a textured back.
Old 03-05-07, 01:09 PM

My suggestion is to glue a sheet of wood veneer to the painted surface, and go from there. It would easier than sanding.
Old 03-05-07, 06:01 PM
Administrator

It seems as if Alessandra is looking for a quick fix......I certainly have done.......if I can reuse an old panel with a mediocre or failed painting I will just sand off the painting and start again......no re-gessoing...just get on with the job with the least amount of fuss and work. I'm not sure about adding further gesso......maybe de-lamination (of the gesso) probs later????
I'm all for an easy life!!
Rob
Old 03-05-07, 06:29 PM

I'm for an easy life too ;) - but I just can't sand my paintings off !! that wouldn't be the quick way to go for ME... maybe oil tempera has more adherence??
Old 04-05-07, 06:56 PM

I recently overhauled a painting that I didn't like very much. It was ET on an acrylic board and it was the painting I refered to when I first posted to this forum, whining about how the medium wasn't behaving itself. The paintings been finished for a while and there are (so far) no apparent problems. It was actually easier to repaint it than to paint it in the first place. I guess ET makes a suitable ground.

I still don't like the painting. It was born a dog and it will stay one. However, that has nothing to do with the materials.

-M