Default El Boricua - Latest Painting

Thank you for looking.

6"x8" ET on Panel

Detail:
Old 03-07-07, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Alex,
I wish I could see facial planes (and render them) as clearly as you! Beautiful job.
As for constructive criticism, I think it would be nice to see your brush strokes that model the flag follow its drapery planes with the same kind of turn around the form as you have done with the head. I'm referring especially of the upper white stripe in the shadow. The darker strokes there seem to counter the undulating surface of the flag, as do the lighter strokes in the white stripe below it. I wonder if you might consider laying on one more layer of brush strokes on those two stripes to follow a bit more closely the topography of the flag that the stripes themselves describe? (I didn't state that very clearly, did I?) I guess what I mean is that the cross-hatching on some areas of the flag seem to flatten the surface rather than follow and evoke its billowing planes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but against the fully volumetric rendering of the face, it appears slightly like a flat backdrop instead of a 3-dimensional element moving in and out of light and space.
If you do rework those areas, perhaps the color you put down in the shadows could be just a wee bit lighter than the dark strokes that are now the topmost color. I think if you end up with a lighter value over a darker one there, it will make the shadows more luminous. (Seems like you've done a little of that already in the upper white stripe as it approaches the sunlit part near his head.)
At any rate, super painting. It looks fantastic without another mark added. Thanks for sharing it.
Dennis
Old 03-07-07, 01:35 PM
alexgarcia

Dennis,

Thank you for your very good observations. I will work on your suggestions. That area did give me alot of trouble so I am glad you were able to give me some direction on how to make it better.

Alex
Old 11-07-07, 03:44 AM

Default El Boricua - Latest Painting

Hi Alex,

I agree with Dennis's comments overall. I am a big admirer of your
portraits. I also like the idea of personalizing one's patriotism with a portrait set against the flag.

One thing I would add to Dennis's comment about the white stripe cross-hatch area, (I agree that the dark lines are distracting) would be that there are a lot of colors within the white areas of any painting. Often white reflects whatever surrounds it. The flag's white stripe next to a red stripe will reflect some color off the red neighboring stripe, so there could be some kind of warm color scumbled over the bluish shadow on the white stripe. In a flag I recently painted I used an orange scumble over the gray shadow of the white stripe, and hints of a red glaze thinly applied. Everyone's palette is unique, so I hesitate about suggesting what specific colors would be the right applications for yours, but the trick is also to think of the flag as a flowing, undulating surface, and to allow the shadows and light areas of the flag to be lively in framing or perhaps even appearing to lightly brush or 'embrace' the man's face (I don't know if this latter idea would be in line with your intention or not).

It's a very dynamic composition, and all best wishes with this piece.

Mona
Old 11-07-07, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Alex,
There is a dark line outlining his forehead which I find distracting. There is enough contrast between the forehead and the flag that it isn't necessary. A minor quibble, though. Wonderful painting overall!
Phil
Old 10-08-07, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Thank you for your thoughts, Phil and Mona. I appreciate your insight and taking the time to comment.

I have a tendency to not work out all of these issues before hand and then I am left with problems. I am learning from all this though, thanks again.
Old 22-11-07, 10:59 AM

Your work is awesome! Looking at the brushwork in the white stripes in the flag, I have to ask, are you left-handed?
Old 26-11-07, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Karen,

Thank you. I am actually right-handed.