Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Here you may intoduce yourself

Old 01-08-07, 01:13 PM
ChuckA

Default intro

Dear ET Forum,

Been in the art business a long time. Years ago I illustrated with designer colors and still will use zinc white with acrylics for details.

Here is my question. For being a true tempera painter. Is it a fact that I should buy the pigments direct, use the egg/water mixture and not go for any tube paints as in sennelier or Windsor Newton gouache (designers colors) to real get the patina and lustre a true egg tempera painting delivers so elegantly.

A lot of my oil painting students with the allure of detail may want to step into this genre and when I was the Creative Director at SW Art magazine, the Wyeth Family Show was at the Dallas Museum of Art. I drove up and admired Andrew's, surprised at the dirty sloppy work of NC's and could have cared less of Jamie's "Soho" schtick.

Anyway, Jeff from Cennini Forum put this website on his thread. I am very impressed. I just want to do the paintings in the correct method and then expand the scope of subject matter.

ChuckA
Old 01-08-07, 06:47 PM

Hi and welcome! I think you'll find that, although there's plenty of discussion of alternate methods, most people here feel that egg tempera made fresh by the artist with egg yolk and pure pigments work better than any compromise. Yes, the initial setup is a little more work, but once you have your pigments ready you can use them for years almost as conveniently as tube paints, and with far better results.

I have a sentimental attachment to NC Wyeth's work, but yeah, it is sloppy. I love Andrew Wyeth's temperas, but I haven't seen any of Jamie Wyeth's work in person. And let us not forget Henriette, the Forgotten Wyeth. I like her work too.
Old 01-08-07, 07:12 PM
ChuckA

Default pigments

Dear Allesandra,

Who's pigments would you recommend? Small and medium budgets.

Thanks, Henrietta did her husband more of a service than herself. She spent far to much time developing Peter Hurd's horrendous work.

Would it be proper once I get started to send in a jpeg for review? I want to make sure I am on the right track. Also I have read that RealGesso panels will save a lot of anquish? Any other substrates that I am familiar with, also do you think the Gamblin Gesso (not acrylic) is passable?

Respectfully
Chuck in Houston
Old 08-08-07, 11:25 PM

Sigh. A long answer got vanished by some software malfunction. Here's a quick précis:

Sure you can submit a jpeg, or link to a pic or whatever (I'm a little vague on the process because I haven't done it). You would post it in the Critique Forum.

I recommend Kremer Pigments, now owned by Sinopia: http://www.sinopia.com/ If you have a use for a lot of pigment, buying in bulk saves vast quantities of money. Most pigments are made by the same few manufacturers, so there's little difference in quality from brand to brand.

I think Peter Hurd was trying to be the Western Andrew Wyeth. Or maybe a second tier Thomas Hart Benton. It's a pity about Henriette's work, as I think she was a more talented painter than he.
Old 23-10-07, 06:14 AM

Red face Hello Chuck,

I agree with Alessandra, so there is no use rewriting it. I regrind the pigment in water and keep it wet, then take it out little at a time as I use it with egg and water. There are those that just keep the pigment dry. Both sides have their reasons. I also use Kemer Pigments. Bert

Last edited by Bert Congdon; 23-10-07 at 06:17 AM.
Old 23-10-07, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Hi Chuck,
If you want to put up any work in the critique forum you can either link to it from an external web site or you can send me a jpg.....rob@robmilliken.co.uk
If you have any probs just mail me
Rob