Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Other Art Related Issues

Other Art Related Issues Discuss other art related issues not connected with tempera

Old 12-05-04, 05:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to iconwriter77373 Send a message via Yahoo to iconwriter77373
Default thinking about workspace..... (or lack thereof)

Hello all:

This is crossposted from another list, and so if you are also on the Iconofile boards, I apologize for the duplications. :-)

Now that it's been almost a year since we moved, I'm of course thinking about reorganizing space in the house and that leads to the issue of where my "studio" (such as it is) is located. It currently is nestled in a bay window that faces northeast(right-hand window is straight north, therefore) in the master bedroom.

This is GREAT lighting. Even in the afternoon, there's good light to work. Couldn't ask for better. And because of the bay window type construction of the room, it means all my "stuff" is out of the way of everybody else in the house, and while I miss having "a room of my own" as I did in our old house, still, that light is what it is.

However... with dogs, a cat, birds, and just the normal amount of dust that settles in carpet, on furniture, etc., I'm wondering if I shouldn't rethink this. I'm particularly concerned about the dust issue when I gild (yes, I clean the room, but NOBODY gets all the dust and with central air, it comes back pretty quick); and I'm concerned of course about using pigments of some toxicity, especially grinding pigments, in the room where we sleep.

The house is small, there is no extra bedroom, the only other options would be moving out into the living room (and moving the computer into the bedroom) or doing gilding work in the kitchen (no carpet, countertops and tables always washed down with water) and grinding outside or in the garage (which really IS dusty!)

How do those of you who lack professional studio space do this? Does anybody work in the kitchen instead of a bedroom or living room? Also, comments on the toxicity issue are most welcome.

Here's your chance to be a virtual interior designer for the day :grin:

Janet
Old 12-05-04, 07:46 PM
Anonymous

Hi Janet

I love the sound of your bay window.

We don't have a dining table any more in our flat. That's my work station.
Problem is that it is in the living room and so if anyone wants to watch TV I'm stuffed. I can't paint icons when the TV is on. I need peace and quiet and most importantly music.

Thats the main problem I find with working in the living room. It's Ok whilst the kids are at school, but as I also work at school two days a week and have other commitments as well, I usually only get 1 1/2 days a week to paint. That's just not enough!!!!!

I'm actually thinking about moving into the bedroom but I won't have as much room.

Sorry, I've rambled on a bit. None of this really helps you.Sorry

Sheenagh
Old 12-05-04, 07:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to iconwriter77373 Send a message via Yahoo to iconwriter77373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheenagh
Hi Janet

I love the sound of your bay window.

We don't have a dining table any more in our flat. That's my work station.
Problem is that it is in the living room and so if anyone wants to watch TV I'm stuffed. I can't paint icons when the TV is on. I need peace and quiet and most importantly music.

Thats the main problem I find with working in the living room. It's Ok whilst the kids are at school, but as I also work at school two days a week and have other commitments as well, I usually only get 1 1/2 days a week to paint. That's just not enough!!!!!

I'm actually thinking about moving into the bedroom but I won't have as much room.

Sorry, I've rambled on a bit. None of this really helps you.Sorry

Sheenagh
LOL, not a bit. This is what having children does to you......

Janet
Old 18-05-04, 05:25 PM

Hi Janet- I have an odd-type house in that I have a very large room that has a cathedral ceiling, but it is attached to both the dining room and kitchen. So, I also have to watch where toxic supplies might end up - but it is the best area for light. I have tried to work in other areas of the house, but I have found if the lighting is bad, then I am less likely to enjoy working. It seems for me that the lighting is the first priority - recently when I was struggling with not having enough storage space for supplies, I rearranged everything several times and ended up just where I started, so again, I seem to be drawn to correct lighting first. I've been working in this same room for several years - I make sure pigments don't get too near the kitchen (at least when I'm cooking -lol) but I breathe residual dust, the cats and kids get dusty, and the rest of the room is filled with plant stands and plants, in other words, this is definitely not a "clean room" without airborne particles - and we all seem to be okay, so I think that having your workspace where you sleep won't be a huge problem as far as residual dust. Gee, I wish I had a bay window away from everything!

Laurie
PS- maybe when you are gilding you could put up one of those wardrobe screens - I have three of them, -you know the folding wooden frames covered with cloth - I can set those up around me and behind me if I am trying to keep my work area super clean. You might find those at yard sales. And perhaps you could make a cloth "tent" that fits over an art piece while the gilding is drying/curing - made out of muslin, it wouldn't slow down the drying time. Another thing to look into is (I forget the actual name) a tabletop"booth" - it surrounds the work area - sometimes you can find them with airbrush supplies to prevent overspray, but also they are used when flasking orchids as the environment has to be sterile to flask.