Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Other Art Related Issues

Other Art Related Issues Discuss other art related issues not connected with tempera

Old 17-01-08, 07:03 PM

Default Oil Paint and pregnancy - a few questions

Hello,
I read Alessandra Kelley's article about pigment toxicity as related to pregnant painters posted on this site- very informative. I felt like I was pretty "up to date" on which pigments were to be avoided or aware of, but after doing a little research I'm not quite sure...

I teach an oil painting class at a small school, and one of my students just found out that she's pregnant, so I need to give her all the information I can.

The class is using Georgian brand oil colors, which is listed as "non-toxic" in catalogs and on their packaging (the exception is of course Flake White). However, the tube for "Sap Green" indicates that the pigment used is Pthalocyanine. Is that toxic? Or should it only be considered toxic to pregnant women?

Also, a few of the colors say they are cadmium pigments... are they faux "Cadmiums"? I would expect them to have a cautionary label if they have any actual cadmium in them. The tubes dont give the specific pigment (i.e. Pigment Blue 33) so I can't be sure.

If anyone has any advice about pregnancy and oil paint, or sources for certified non-toxic pigments already mixed with oil in the tube, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks!
Old 18-01-08, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Matt,
Alessandra would be the best person to reply as she has done the research.....suggest you go to her web site......scroll down to the bottom of the page....there is an e-mail address on which to contact her........
www.alessandrakelley.com
Old 08-02-08, 03:38 AM

Thanks for the direction, I'll head there!
Matt