Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Here you may intoduce yourself

Old 23-01-08, 10:33 PM
old fart and trophy hag

Default Greetings

Greetings, tempera painters. I'm Jim Yarbrough, in Atlanta, Georgia. I've been painting with egg tempera, in addiion to other media, for...let's see...except for student paintings in the late '50s, around 25 years. All this time I've only met two or three other painters who like to use this medium. So I'm looking forward to making a lot of new acquaintances (virtual friends). I'm not computer literate, so my wife is actually doing the writing and corresponding, but hey I can dictate.

I have read what books I could find on egg tempera, and my general practice has evolved into a technique where I use acrylic-based gesso and sometimes extensive underpainting in acrylic, before launching into egg tempera. Strangely enough, I have had fewer technical problems with this procedure than I did with some of the panels using traditional gesso. Who would have guessed?
Old 24-01-08, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Welcome to our friendly helpful bunch Jim......(and I guess 'Mrs Jim' who will typing up all your posts.....
Old 24-01-08, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Wink

Welcome, Jim (and wife)!
Looking forward to getting to know you. A warped sense of humor helps around here. Not to worry, though, no one bites. Yet.
Phil
Old 25-01-08, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Jim,
I'm glad you posted. I heard your voicemail on my home phone the other day after returning from a trip, but unfortunately I lost your message and phone number! Feel free to send me a Private Message via this site. Hope we can meet in person before too long.
Welcome to the Forum. I look forward to hearing your insights.
Dennis
Old 02-02-08, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome Jim

Welcome Jim. I have seen your works from the link on he eggtempera.org site and they absolutely beautiful.
Old 03-02-08, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Greetings, tempera painters. I'm Jim Yarbrough, in Atlanta, Georgia. I've been painting with egg tempera, in addiion to other media, for...let's see...except for student paintings in the late '50s, around 25 years. All this time I've only met two or three other painters who like to use this medium. So I'm looking forward to making a lot of new acquaintances (virtual friends). I'm not computer literate, so my wife is actually doing the writing and corresponding, but hey I can dictate.

I have read what books I could find on egg tempera, and my general practice has evolved into a technique where I use acrylic-based gesso and sometimes extensive underpainting in acrylic, before launching into egg tempera. Strangely enough, I have had fewer technical problems with this procedure than I did with some of the panels using traditional gesso. Who would have guessed?
Jim your work is edgy and beautiful, and I'm not sure how you pulled that off! I was so eager to start in egg tempera after my first baby that I tried to work on acrylic ground and ended up in tears of frustration. Now after baby two I'm ordering chalk gesso panels (to optimize painting time) from a place near you to be shipped to me on the edge of the arctic circle, and starting over...

Pleased to meet you,

jp
Old 03-02-08, 03:31 PM
old fart and trophy hag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohl View Post
Jim your work is edgy and beautiful, and I'm not sure how you pulled that off! I was so eager to start in egg tempera after my first baby that I tried to work on acrylic ground and ended up in tears of frustration. Now after baby two I'm ordering chalk gesso panels (to optimize painting time) from a place near you to be shipped to me on the edge of the arctic circle, and starting over...

Pleased to meet you,

jp
dear jp,
really sorry to hear you had such a difficult time with your panels. if you've ordered animal skiin glue and gesso mixture, i'm sure you can follow the directions that come with it and get a good result, as will be perfectly clear to you from those diirections. it is a substantial amount of work, but it will give you something interesting to do on those cold arctic nights, on the rare occasions when the babies are asleep.

as for acrylic gesso, i'm sure that different brands are fabricated in different ways, and it may be that some brands work much better for egg tempera than others. the brand i have had very good results with is manufactured and marketed by utrecht (www.utrechtart.com),

i use a couple or three very thin layers of gesso, diluted maybe 50/50 or more with water, and brush it on and smooth it down as flat as i can get it with a wide bristle brush. sanding out any lumps in the middle stages of this helps, and using a fine sandpaper for a final finish seems like it gives a good adhesion for the paints to come after.

il'm sure some acrylic gessos would give a really slick surface that would not take the tempera very well or that would encourage it to turn loose later. in my case, this product has served me well for a number of year, and i use it on plywood, plankwood, and most frequently, in masonite.

by all means give us a note back when you finallly find soemthing that will serve you well.

jim

ps, from his wife. i'm interested in hearing what it was you found so frustrating about the gesso.
Old 03-02-08, 08:37 PM
Administrator

I've been following the discussions on acrylic versus RSG gesso since the inception of this forum back in the early 90's.........we have had so many differing experiences from around the globe and one of the common denominators seems to be geographic weather conditions...................I have absolutely no problem with RSG gesso and have conducted experiments by leaving panels outside in all weathers and temperatures (suitably protected from direct rainfall).......acrylic gesso and the paint just goes into globules....I refuse to use it.....(I'm in the central parts of the UK)
Until you can be 100% sure of how ET paint is going to react with its ground in your particular part of the universe then start of with an RSG gesso (certainly tried and tested for 1000's of years!!!)......before trying out any other form and getting a failure..........
Jpohl.....I'm sure you will find so much difference using Realgesso's panels.....you will have the peace of mind that they wont crack or have the paint fall off........:)........when the 'kids' get older and you've delivered them to school then it will be a good time to start making your own which is so much cheaper and rewarding.......
Old 06-02-08, 02:45 PM
old fart and trophy hag

dear rob,

while i have had a few problems with panels coated out with rsg gesso (one was during a painting demonstration, where i used a whole bunch of very dilute washes of tempera, and i used them too soon, one after the other, and it so soaked the gesso ground that it made the ground crack. on another occasion, i had put the gesso ground on heavy plywood and the plywood itself, over a period of a couple of years, developed a lot of cracks in the top surface which showed up in the gesso ground as well as the paint layer. but that was clearly a problem with the plywod, not the gesso),

because i do so much work where the entire painting is developed in acrylic i find it a tremendous convenience to prepare panels with a standard toned acrylic gesso product that i mix up in the studio, and then use the same panels for either acrylic or pastel or egg tempera paintings.

several decades ago, i got the idea that i wanted my mailbox out at the end of the driveway to be plaid. normally they're black here. i painted it with acrylic materials, gesso included, and while it was stolen three times, and suffered the indignity of baseball bats repeatedly (i always found it after the thefts), the colors never faded or chipped off the metal, and it was still there when i moved out, more or less intact. this proved to me the weatherability of acrylic paint; however, i would never expect any piece of art to be subjected to such rude behavior. (right)

jim

ps from the wife, we have, in atlanta, summers which routinely approach or surpass the century farenheit, and when it goes up over a hundred, the humidity is somewhere around 90 percent. so it steams here. and only in the winter rains do we get a nice crop of moss on the hard surfaces. so obviously our geographic weather conditions are different than for you in rainy old england, and jp in the frozen north.