Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 01-12-04, 12:05 AM
alexgarcia

Default First Egg Tempera

This is my first egg tempera. Please let me know what you think.

Actual Size is 5"x7"
Old 01-12-04, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Nice job, Alex! (Much better than MY first tempera...). I especially like the subtle tones in the shading around the eyes and lips. It also looks like you have a nice opalescence going in the blue shirt.
Skin tones are difficult to achieve with ET, as well as smooth gradations. I've done a few portraits and what I like to do is vary the angle of the brush strokes to eliminate the splotchiness or streakiness that sometimes happens when you brush in one direction. (Some tempera painters like to have the brushstrokes follow the contours of the shape, but that never worked for me). Also, I find it takes a minimum of three layers: an underpainting layer, a light layer (with lots of white mixed in with the pigment) and a "glaze down" layer. In some areas I may go light/dark/light/dark several times. That's where egg tempera really shines, when you have multiple layers of translucent paint interacting with each other. If you can get a copy of Andrew Wyeth's book, "The Helga Pictures" check out the portrait "Braids." You can learn a lot just by studying it closely.
You're off to a great start. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Phil
Old 02-12-04, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Hi Alex,
Looks like you're well on your way. This comment has nothing to do with E.T. technique, but rather with constructing the picture: I wonder about the "white" triangle down in the lower left corner. Does it signify something that needs to be there to give sense to the picture? Is it a sheet of paper the sitter is working on, or a blank gessoed panel, a newspaper? It draws my eyes immediately to it because it is the brightest area of the image, the strongest white, and a spot of strong contrast next to the dark blue. Unless you mean to have the viewer focus attention on it because you want to impart some importance to that object or area, you may prefer to tone it down in color/value. Also, if it were grayed out somewhat, the highlights in the man's face would pop out better. Sometimes when I have a similar concern about an area on my paintings, I'll place pieces of differently colored paper on it to see how it changes the overall effect, before I attack it with paint.
Anyway -- take it with a pound of salt. The painting looks nice.
Regards,
Dennis
Old 02-12-04, 03:08 PM
alexgarcia

Default Drawing

Thank you Phil for you comments and also advice, it has been very helpful.

Yes it is true Dennis that portion of the panel draws alot of attention. I will revisit that as I complete the painting.

Thanks for your input it is very helpful.
Old 02-12-04, 07:23 PM

Default First egg tempera

Alex, your did a fine job on your first egg tempera.
Are you familiar with the work of George Tooker? Something in your work reminds me of his and so therefore I think you could benefit from studying his paintings.
I have a book of his egg temperas which I believe you would fine useful.
It is titled George Tooker by Thomas H. Garver.
ISBN 1-56640-069-4. - ISBN1-56640-068-6 (pbk.)
Published by Pomegranate Artbooks. Produced by Chameleon Books, Inc.
I think you can fine it at Amazon.com books. My copy is a large paperback.
Jean
Old 02-12-04, 08:10 PM
alexgarcia

Funny you should mention George Tooker, he is my favorite artist. I have that book and have spent many hours looking over his work. Interesting how that came through my work although I am very very far from ever being as good as him. I also spend time looking at Paul Cadmus, Jared French, some of Wyeth and of course all of the skilled artists on this site, like Phil, Dennis, Michael Bergt, Koo Schadler and other. Thanks for you input.
Old 16-12-04, 01:19 AM
alexgarcia

Default Second Tempera

This is my second attempt.

Actual Size is 5"x7"
Old 16-12-04, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Alex,
Another fine job.
Just a couple of small personal crits.
Do you have the need to fill empty corners of the painting? I know I have been guilty in the past of doing this.
I find the bowl fights for importance with the portrait. In many cases it is not what you paint but what you don't paint. I also have a minor problem with converging lines on the window opening, the lines of the head and the window all converge to a point. Would be best if the window was in this case slightly narrower. If made wider the tones of the head would merge with the small hill.
I think it is good that have put your work up for scrutiny, perhaps we should have a separate forum for critiques which is a good learning place for all.
Good luck and look forward to the next piece.
Rob
Old 16-12-04, 02:20 PM
alexgarcia

You are so right. Both of those items were after thoughts and they were put there to sort of not have to deal with the bigger areas of color, laziness on my part. They were not thoroughly considered and looking at it now it makes alot of sense what you are saying. I appreciate your crits and will use them as I begin my my next painting since I have a tendency to fall into the same lazy habits.
Old 30-04-05, 05:51 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: First Egg Tempera

HEY, ALEX, GREAT STUFF, BOTH YOUR 1st & 2nd PIECES...KEEP IT UP...I JUST JOINED TONITE AROUND MIDNITE & AM REALLY NEW TO THE MEDIUM (BUT I HAVE BEEN A FREELANCE ILLUSTRATOR FOR 40 YEARS) SO I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO POSTING MY ART IN A MONTH OR TWO...KEEP AT IT 'CAUSE YOU DO UNDERSTAND THE MAGIC IN DOING IT...AL IN STL