Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 PM

Smile how to clean egg tempera paintings

hello; i need some help; i just got an egg tempera painting that apparently needs cleaning (colors have faded due to dust accumulation, etc.); what can i use to clean it with.
also it has in one area some water damage; can it be touched up with another medium (water color, acrylic, ...)
any experienced advice will be appreciated.
thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

ghosns,

How old is the painting? If it is more than 5 years old, the surface should be pretty durable. I've had good luck just using cotton balls. No water or solvents of any kind, just a little vigorous rubbing (make sure there aren't any large grains of dirt that would leave scratches.) I've read you can dampen the cotton a little, but I'd be VERY careful doing that.

I wouldn't advise using any medium other than egg tempera to do repairs. In a previous thread someone said that applying a thin water/egg wash to the damaged area (letting it sit for a while) will soften it up enough to accept another layer. I've done that on paintings 1 or 2 years old and it worked fine.

If it's a valuable painting you may want to contact a museum and speak with a conservator. I did that once regarding an oil painting and the conservator was very helpful. I offered to pay her and she refused.

Good luck!

Phil
Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

a quick hand of white spirit will clean off all ellement and not harm the ET using a brush or cotton balls or cotton cloth at the end to wipe of dirt etc.

as for retouching just use ET
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

A friend of mine was puting up an exhibition on the gallery wall, then I noticed 3 rubber boot scrapes on the bottom of the ET Icon painting, the issue with a painting last night, was how to clean it, I called up a budy who is one of the best art restorers in greece it seems his 1 st option was spit! the second was dishwasher soap, the second worked.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Um, yeah, I have heard that some of the most fragile artworks and sculptures are cleaned with swabs wetted with . . . well, saliva. Apparently it has very gently enzymes for removing grime and dirt without harming the underlying artworks. Of course, as with any cleaning method, you have to have a light touch. I'd have to look it up, but I think I heard of this practice at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:29 PM

I don't have any experience treating egg tempera paintings, but I am studying to become a paintings conservator. One thing I noticed on a previous post was rubbing it with cotton and water (or saliva). It isn't a good idea to rub a painting. It is better to dab the surface with the cotton. Rubbing it can scratch the painting, or catch the edge of the paint if it has cracked over time. Sorry I don't have any more information specific to egg tempera. I paint egg tempera, but I have never been involved in treating one.