Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Here you may intoduce yourself

Old 09-10-08, 03:21 PM
Christian Dhaka

Default How to treat mould on ET

Dear All,
Let me introduce myself. I have been living in Dhaka (Bangladesh) since September 2004. The art scene here has been a well-kept secret until recently (second to none in South Asia). My wife and I have been busy collecting contemporary art and in April this year, we bought an ET painting by Shahid Kabir (he actually lives in Spain but occasionally exhibits in Dhaka). It is the portrait of a street boy, 26" x 3', mostly reddish-brown, black and ochre tones, on board, in a box frame. After nearly five months of monsoon weather (29C/84F, 80% humidity), the painting came out in white blotches, perhaps a dozen, between 2 mm and 1 cm in diameter. I don't know what varnish (if any) the artist used but Kabir himself told me that he had mixed boric powder into the paint as a fungicide. (Don't have his contact details, so cannot ask him directly.)

Could anyone advise me how to treat the fungus? (There is a UK-trained restorer here in Dhaka but ET seems to have gone out of fashion since the Mughal days and apart from Kabir, nobody in Dhaka is familiar with that medium.)

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Christian Raitz von Frentz
Dhaka

Tags
paints and pigments, restoration