Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 06-02-09, 12:31 AM

Default Distemper

For those of you out there who may not have tried this I would highly recommend giving it a go. Distemper, which is using the warmed up rabbit skin glue that is used in the gesso as a painting medium, is very compatible with egg tempera, as you can imagine. Using it for underpainting it produces very brilliant colour in the final egg tempera painting. It is not very hard to apply, but you do need to keep it warm while you use it. I have an old electric frying pan set on warm or very low and use a metal palette on top. I keep a jar of the medium in the pan at the same time and it stays nicely liquid.

It is very good at doing large areas of flat colour, which many find difficult in egg tempera, and will paint very accurate detail. You can dilute it to a large degree with water (treat it like egg tempera in this regard) and apply it in thin veils of transparent colour. It sets very quickly.

It's perfectly OK to do an entire painting in distemper, and they are excellent in terms of aging. One advantage over egg tempera is that it is possible to use distemper on raw canvas, though not in any thick buildup (it is really just coloured gesso after all).
Old 07-02-09, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Jeff,
When I first saw the headline I thought you were "disillusioned" with tempera...
I can't believe I've never heard of this before. An interesting idea. It probably wouldn't work as a final glaze (to bring up the intensity of colors) because it would have a different sheen than the ET. But I can see how, as an underpainting, it would be more brilliant than the tempered medium.
I may just give it a try.
Thanks!
Phil
Old 07-02-09, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Phil and Jeff,
Many works by Toulouse-Lautrec were painted in distemper on cardboard. Vuillard used it, too. It really is a nice looking medium.
Dennis

Last edited by Dennis H; 11-02-09 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Corrected typos from mobile phone keypad mistakes.
Old 09-02-09, 04:44 PM

Neat idea, thanks Jeff!
Old 18-03-09, 09:43 PM
Tempera Painter

Hey Phil,

I've heard of rabbit skin glue being used as a kind of varnish on tempera - so I think you could use it to glaze some final color atop a tempera. I'm trying to think why not....I believe its more flexible than egg yolk, so the fat over lean rule isn't violated. You are right that the shine would be different, but if you don't mind the glue look you could finish the whole piece with it to even out things. I think.
Old 19-03-09, 12:12 AM
painter

Like most vehicles in paint, the discolouration they would have on their own is generally masked by a proper proportion of pigment. A solution of RSG highly diluted can appear very clear when applied to a painting though I'm fairly sure with age any unevenness in it's application will show in uneven yellowing patterns.

Tags
canvas, distemper, flat color, glue, underpaint