Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 20-08-09, 10:13 AM

Default Best paper for cartoons.

Hello everyone,

I wonder if any of you have experience of this. I prepare paper for cartoons with RSG, zinc white pigment and a coloured pigment, as in the Daniel V Thompson book. I like to use high quality water colour paper that will last, as I sell the cartoons. I use a slghtly different method to Thompson. I like to use pencil on bare paper before adding the first layer of RSG and pigment. I am currently using Arches water colour paper but I like to work and rework the pencil drawing and I find this paper does not tolerate this too well. The surface becomes rough and dirty. Does anybody know of a very high quality paper available in the UK that can take a lot of rubbing out and that can then prepared with the RSG and pigment?

Many thanks.
Old 20-08-09, 03:13 PM

There are better papers than the soft, cotton-raggy, high-quality watercolor paper for heavy drawing reworking. Depending on how heavily you draw, you should be able to erase a reasonable amount from, say, acid-free bristol board, which is a good deal tougher under this treatment than gorgeous but tender watercolor paper.
Old 20-08-09, 03:17 PM

Default Bristol

I used to do pencil or charcoal drawings that I worked over heavily. I was extremely rough on my papers and required them to accept strong, dark marks but still be erasable to a like-new surface.
I found Strathmore 500 Series Bristol "vellum" surface worked extremely well. The "plate" surface is less tolerant of erasure.
I have not tried to size it with RSG, but there is no reason it wouldn't take it well, especially if you used a heavier sheet (it's available from 2-ply to--I believe--5-ply).
Before I found the Strathmore Bristol, I had reasonable results with Rives BFK, which has a velvety surface that is very pleasant to work on and is available in a range of light, neutral colors (6?). It also is less tolerant of heavy working when using charcoal, but would be very nice with graphite. I have used gesso on BFK with good results.
While I never cared for it, some people I knew who also liked to extensively rework their drawings used Stonehenge. It's a printmaking paper like Rives BFK, but it has a smoother surface. It erases well, but seems to give in to the abuse of an eraser quicker than the Strathmore. It's also available in about seven neutral colors.
I'd suggest you get a couple sheets of each and see how you like them.
Good luck!
Old 23-08-09, 04:07 PM

I'd just like to add a quick note for browsers who might otherwise be confused by this thread (because people find things on the web through odd routes). We're using the word "cartoons" in the very old sense to mean preparatory drawings for paintings, not the modern sense of humorous sketches. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore joked about this.
Old 27-08-09, 05:45 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Thanks for the advice. I really apreciate it. I notice the BFK is easily available in the uk so I will start with that one.

Thanks again.
Old 24-03-10, 01:24 PM

This subject did not seem to stir up much interest but just in case someone has had the same problem, I have found a solution. The Stonehenge paper was not up to the punishment I gave it. The answer is so obvious I feel silly not thinking of it earlier. I took a piece of watercolour paper (HP Arches) and sized it was rabbit skin glue and a touch of Titanium white (to counter any yellowing) before I started drawing. This works really well and means that I can use a variety of papers. I can go over the drawing with another layer of size and pigment if I wish.
Old 26-03-10, 03:20 PM

I had a little trouble following this. Do you mean that you prepare the paper with rsg and only a little pigment?
Old 27-03-10, 03:15 PM

Yes, I just used a little bit of pigment for this. I don't know if I needed to use any. I must make it clear I was just talking about making a paper strong enough to take a lot of rubbing out and reworking with pencil. I was not talking about preparing paper for silverpoint or for painting on.
Old 06-08-12, 09:01 AM

This is a very old thread but I want to add to it because I have made a mistake. I donít want to lead anyone astray as this could be a waste of time and money for them. I may have had some success with using watercolour paper at first, but it is not suitable. As Alessandra Kelley pointed out, it is too soft. I was ill when I posted this thread, and my illness affected my thought processes. Now I canít image why I wrote this. My apologies to anyone who tried it.