Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 18-09-09, 09:59 PM

Default Allegory of the pomegranate

Hello. Posted here, pictures of a painting in et I have just completed. Measures 16 x 20". I tend to mix up thicker emulsions than most... I suspect, and use stronger colors, but there are still quite a few layers on this painting. I've also noticed that ET paintings tend to soften and mellow in the colors over a few months after completion so I suspect the colors on this will dirty up a little over the next 10 mos or so. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them. Kevin

Last edited by KHart; 19-09-09 at 03:16 AM.
Old 19-09-09, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Kevin,
Love the concept; the mechanics and the humour. The drawing is superb.
This to me is part of what art is about......at the end of the day ET is just another medium to express one's self. I'm no purist or seriously consider any form of longevity of a piece......just live in hope that my paintings out live me so the customer has no come back....:)
The painting looks fine but at web resolution it is very difficult to make any comment.
Some of the colours do look somewhat subdued and lack the richness or luminosity, that may be in the photography. It may also be that you have used too few layers of underpainting and have rendered the paint as another medium. Tempera, to get the best results, does need to be built up in many, many thin layers of underpainting and I finish with many layers of glazes.
Just as a very simple example.....if I wanted a really vibrant rust colour I would underpaint with cadmium yellow (and maybe some titanium white) and then glaze with burnt sienna. Although the colour is predominatly burnt sienna, the underlying cad yellow also shines through. Try laying down a swatch of burnt sienna and then next to it lay some some cad yellow and then glaze with burnt sienna and see the difference.
Hope this helps.
Rob
Old 19-09-09, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Kevin,
Love the concept; the mechanics and the humour. The drawing is superb.
This to me is part of what art is about......at the end of the day ET is just another medium to express one's self. I'm no purist or seriously consider any form of longevity of a piece......just live in hope that my paintings out live me so the customer has no come back....:)
The painting looks fine but at web resolution it is very difficult to make any comment.
Some of the colours do look somewhat subdued and lack the richness or luminosity, that may be in the photography. It may also be that you have used too few layers of underpainting and have rendered the paint as another medium. Tempera, to get the best results, does need to be built up in many, many thin layers of underpainting and I finish with many layers of glazes.
Just as a very simple example.....if I wanted a really vibrant rust colour I would underpaint with cadmium yellow (and maybe some titanium white) and then glaze with burnt sienna. Although the colour is predominatly burnt sienna, the underlying cad yellow also shines through. Try laying down a swatch of burnt sienna and then next to it lay some some cad yellow and then glaze with burnt sienna and see the difference.
Hope this helps.
Rob
This is incredibly helpful advice!! I did suspect I was mixing my egg with too much pigment. Thanks!
Old 20-09-09, 04:26 PM
Administrator

If you were adding too much pigment to egg the pigment would lift and when 'polishing' would muddy up the colours.....I take it that you have explorered the main site at
www.eggtempera.com
especially the section on paint
http://www.eggtempera.com/paint.html ?
Rob
Old 20-09-09, 08:42 PM

Rob, In that case, I don't think I'm mixing too much color in because the pigments do not lift. The paints are definitely transparent but could possibly be more so. I took a good look at the painting today and it is actually brighter than the photos, however, I see areas where I could have done more with glazing. The skin tones have quite a few layers, beginning with blue-green shadows and layering with reds and peach/pinks of varying degrees of whiteness. I think I need to go to the next level with rendering and see where there was room to do this on some of the figures. Their faces / features are quite small relative to the overall size of the work so I did not want to dirty them up or put in too much detail because I think it could be overworked. YOur comments are valuable and I have gone through the sections you suggest, which are also valuable. I started out working in tempera grassa, which I really did like, but then decided to spend some time on tempera without the oil and I think I'm liking it better... Thank you for your help. Kevin

Just wanted to add that I probably use about a finger nail worth of pigment to a small teaspoon of egg/water mixture then add water if needed.
Old 26-09-09, 04:52 PM

This is quite nice and I appreciate the detail shots and the added commentary. Sometimes it feels as though this is a slow and relatively inactive forum, but I can assure you there are people like myself paying close attention and enjoying every bit of it.