Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 10-12-09, 07:33 PM
Vit86

Default Oil Tempera

Hi everyone

One of the influences in my artistic development is Pietro Annigoni. However he did not used an egg tempera medium, but what was called an "oil tempera" medium. Can anyone elaborate on this? Or know what the medium's formula is?

Any input is appreciated as always.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-12-09, 04:50 PM

You can find "Painting with Annigoni" by Dawn Cookson on Amazon or other places. An appendix in this book gives the complete recipe.
Old 13-12-09, 04:46 PM
Italian painter

Default Tempera grassa

The tempera with oil added is in use from XV century, or maybe earlier, and it's called "tempera grassa" (fat tempera). Many paintings mostly known as "oil painting" is really "fat tempera painting".
This fat rempera compared to a lean tempera (like Cennini recipe) is more firm and flexible, anyway not so flexible as pure oil medium.

The basic recipe is:

- one yolk;
- water (like 1 yolk);
- linseed oil (like 1/2 yolk).

Shake well and store in a well stopped bottle.

The linseed oil can be sun-cooked, to be more drying.
Old 14-12-09, 05:55 PM

I've used that, or something like that anyway. My teacher, in his inimitable poetic way, called it "egg-oil emulsion". I remember it as smelling pretty nasty, but that may have been because we used a cafeteria egg of dubious pedigree. I like the smell of linseed oil, but it's a little weird combined with egg.

My experience was that it was easier to blend than tempera, but not nearly so easy as oil paint. Also it seemed to need to be painted in thin layers, like tempera, but was far more transparent. I didn't take to it, to be honest.

By the way, it's from this experience (and other clues) that I came to the conclusion that commercial tube "egg tempera" is really a tempera-oil paint.
Old 07-01-10, 04:23 PM
Skytale

Hi there

You may want to check out the following -

Egg Tempera Painting, Tempera Underpainting, Oil Emulsion Painting, A Manual Of Technique, by Vaclac Vytlacil and Rupert Davidson Turnbull

Published by Oxford University Press it has been out of print for some years now but may be downloaded from the Internet Archive's database -

http://www.archive.org/details/eggte...ainti017675mbp

Just be aware that there are a few typos in one or two of the recipes mentioned but they should be glaringly obvious (excuse the pun!).
Old 08-01-10, 06:07 PM

There was a thread on this forum from 2007 titled "Tempera Grassa" that had a lengthy post regarding Annigoni's tempera technique and recipe. You can find it using the URL below, midway down from "extraordinegg":

http://www.eggtempera.com/forumnew/showthread.php?t=194