Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 12-01-10, 12:32 AM
(Ramesh Vyaghrapuri)

Default Teacups

Not sure if any purists would consider this even ET, I am using (and loving) the sennelier ET paints though I do add a little more fresh egg yolks when I want my strokes to show.

Please tell me what you think (am not soft-skinned ;-P). The pictures seem to emphasize the strokes more than the real thing -- the whites arent as obvious in the painting.

About post-card sized.

Old 12-01-10, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Really like it, VK! The colors, textures... It has a pastel quality to it which I've never seen before in an ET (could be the internet translation).

Minor quibbles: 1. I would crop either the left or right side so everything isn't centered. 2. For some reason, I want to see either some space above the bottle top or more of the bottle cropped off.

Thanks for sharing.

Phil
Old 12-01-10, 07:38 PM
(Ramesh Vyaghrapuri)

Thanks for the feedback Phil, you are spot on with both compositional problems. I originally had rendered the bottle top too close to the upper border and it didnt look right, so I cropped it but it would look better with it cropped more. Had trouble with the centering as well (had to lighten the shadows more to make it look balanced but it would have been better to shift everthing a bit to the right and render the shadows more forcefully).

As for the pastel look, it could be because of the fact that I use a lot of titanium white mixed into everything and also use a lot of egg medium than required for strict adherence. It actually looks like casein in person.

Here is another image that looks absolutely like pastel in person too (and this one is larger).

Life Drawing

(Had to put a link in here instead of embedding the image because it looks like the forum s/w doesnt like having hyphen in image urls)