Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 19-01-10, 10:24 PM
LaBoheme

Default Sizing and Preparing Board for Tempera

Hello,
I am not fond of using either rabbit-skin glue or animal gelatin for sizing my panels before painting. I would really like to know if there is a natural or vegetarian alternative for sizing panels.
I don't mind using animal products as long as they don't come from dead animals. Also, I do not really want to use a pva glue as it's toxic.
What are my hopes of something that I could use that is natural?
I use agar-agar vegetable gelatin for some applications in papermaking, and I'm wondering if this would work for sizing the panels, as it seems to be a fairly tough form of gelatin. I'm not sure if there would be any adverse reactions to using this or not.
I was also thinking I could use a casein glue to mount a layer of fabric on to the board. and then paint with tempera over that.
I've done a lot of reading, but it would be helpful to have some feed back or definitive answer from some experienced users regarding these ideas.
Thank you.
Old 20-01-10, 12:10 AM
(Ramesh Vyaghrapuri)

Here is a thread from the forum that I saved which talks about casein -- you might find this helpful.

http://www.eggtempera.com/forumnew/a...php/t-451.html
Old 20-01-10, 07:37 PM

My knee jerk response to questions regarding alternatives to rabbit skin glue is always PVA. It is amazing stuff. It can even be used to make gesso. Since it is widely supplied to children I was surprised by your claim of toxicity. A quick search turned up an article from the U. S. National Library of Medicne. It states:

Orally administered PVA is relatively harmless. The safety of PVA is based on the following: (1) the acute oral toxicity of PVA is very low, with LD(50)s in the range of 15-20 g/kg; (2) orally administered PVA is very poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract; (3) PVA does not accumulate in the body when administered orally; (4) PVA is not mutagenic or clastogenic... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12504164

The article goes on to state that it may be safely used as a coating for pharmaceuticals.

Incidentally, while I realize that it will not change your aversion to RSG be aware that almost all glue sold as RSG is actually from cows. No bunnies are harmed in the making of my paintings.

Last edited by DLH; 20-01-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 21-01-10, 12:50 AM

Casein. It will work fine for mounting the fabric also, if you go that route.

I'm sure it would be possible to make a sort of gesso with agar-agar, but I have no idea how it would hold up.
Old 21-01-10, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclemons View Post
I'm sure it would be possible to make a sort of gesso with agar-agar, but I have no idea how it would hold up.
Then why mention it?
Old 22-01-10, 02:30 PM

A question was left unanswered. If you have more to say, step up.
Old 22-01-10, 07:34 PM

No offense meant, but you probably want to be a little more careful with your terms.
Although it's perfectly clear what you mean, technically both rabbitskin glue and animal gelatine are completely "natural".

I'm sorry that I don't know of a cruelty-free sizing. In looking, though, I did find this interesting blog on cruelty-free art supplies: http://lesleyatlansky.com/blog/?p=258
Old 25-01-10, 04:13 AM

David, I apologize. On first reading I didnít notice LaBoheme's reference to agar.
Old 25-01-10, 12:53 PM

No harm done. That's why I made my comment.

I would certainly recommend investigating an absorbent acrylic ground over agar-agar, but as I said, casein works well. Some hardcore people may complain about supporting the cattle industry in any way, but that's a whole other issue.
Old 25-01-10, 05:24 PM
LaBoheme

Thank you all for your replies. For me casein is easy to use and easy to come by as well. I live in a semi-remote area in Canada and specialty art supplies can be expensive if I have to order them from the internet. It's nice to know that casein will work as a ground.

I think I'm going to try a combination of casein on board and linen glued with casein on board, and see which I like best.

Thanks again!