Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 01-10-05, 06:38 PM

Default My first ET

My first tempera "Pecan Tree and Windmill - Fisher County, Texas" (12"x24"):

Larger version can be found here:
http://static.flickr.com/31/48340901_96e5efc94a_o.jpg

Any thoughts or critiques would be welcome.

Thank you,

G.D. Sanders
Old 01-10-05, 10:37 PM

G.D.

Interesting brushwork. Is each element rendered as a single strong stroke, as it appears? What kind/size brushes did you use? It has the feeling of oil plein air without looking all mushy

Doug
Old 02-10-05, 12:06 AM

Hi G. D.

My first reaction was how much better the composition would be if the large white areas in the sky were toned down considerably. I personally feel that they detract from the importance of the tree. David.
Old 02-10-05, 05:22 PM

Thank you both for the replies!

Doug: Some of the elements were laid down with individual strokes but most were laid down with numerous small strokes. My limited painting background is in watercolor and I've used some of the techniques of watercolor for this scene. I used a #14 flat brush to lay in large thin washes and built up color in some areas in this fashion with additional layers. However, for most of this piece I used both a #1 and #0 Kolinsky brushes.

David: I think your criticism is very valid and I appreciate the insight, however, I think some of the painting's color did not translate to the photo. The only pure white sections of the painting are the cloud at top middle and some small cloud details. The horizon section is actually a light gray / light blue wash.

The tree and windmill were the primary visual subjects I wanted to convey in the painting but I also wanted to accentuate the sky. I guess the best way to describe this area of West Texas is "topographically challenged" and I wanted to communicate the vastness and clarity of the sky as a secondary subject.

Again, thank you both for your responses.
Old 18-10-05, 11:25 AM

My first reaction is that I really like it. Nice job :-?
Old 18-10-05, 04:41 PM

Very nice...I really llike your brush work.
I also agree about the large white cloud and the tree.
Good Job!
Eric in Oceanside
Old 25-10-05, 02:25 AM

Thank you both for your comments.

I am really pleased with the qualities of egg tempera and hope to paint a few additional landscapes in the near future.

In case he checks this board, I'd like to thank Phil Schirmer for patiently answering my questions from last year. Also, I'd just like to say that this website, the tutorial section and the excellent member posted content on the main forum was a great help in selecting pigments, preparing gesso and learning the painting techniques. All in all a great community to learn from and I appreciate this resource.

Best regards,

G.D. Sanders
Old 26-10-05, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Hi G D Sanders,
Thanks for your comments and the praise of Phil. (He usually checks this board although now newly wed!!!!)
The aim of the society (which hosts this board) is to the improvement in the art of Tempera Painting by the interchange of the knowledge and experience of the members (as said by Joseph Southall).
Happy painting.
Rob
Old 28-10-05, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Hi G.D.,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm in the middle of selling a house, renovating another, preparing for a show, adjusting to life with 2 dogs, 3 cats, 19 chickens and a new wife... I haven't checked the postings as regularly as I generally do. (I'm also living out in the boonies now and have downgraded to a telephone modem so getting online is somewhat of an ordeal).
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying egg tempera. Keep at it. It gets better over time. I like the image you posted and agree with the suggestion to simplify the sky so it doesn't compete with the tree.
Keep us posted.
Phil
Old 31-10-05, 12:22 AM

Rob and Phil:

Thank you both for your reply. Phil, again, I appreciate your help last year with some of my pigment and ground questions. Your insight was very helpful to me.

On my next landscape I will simplify the sky. I wanted two subjects, the tree and the sky, with the sky being secondary but I can now see that the painting becomes busy and the tree is lost amongst the sky.

Best regards,

G.D. Sanders