Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 22-10-10, 10:20 PM
Framewright

Default Eggs in aluminum?

I've usually used baby food jars to store my egg yolk, but being out of both babies and baby food jars, a good thing, I picked up one of the antique aluminum film cannisters cluttering my desk, and thought ... a most excellent container, and then later, thought that aluminum is very reactive, (hide glue seems to eat holes in it) and maybe the egg and aluminum would react.

Any body have any experience or feedback on this?
Old 28-10-10, 05:27 PM

Default Eggs in aluminum?

Rust might be a culprit. My old aluminum cans of Bocour pigments rusted eventually, even though they held only dry pigments.
Old 29-10-10, 02:18 AM
Framewright

Hi Mona,

That is odd, as aluminum is a metal that like Cor Ten steel, oxidizes (rusts) on the surface and then the oxidized surface prevents further oxidation. I use an electric glue pot for hide glue, and have problems with the aluminum pot; holes. I've solved that with a large Vlasic pickle jar as a liner, and as far as film cans as holders for egg yolk, well, I've solved that by buying some baby food, for the glass jars. I suspect that aluminum is very reactive chemicaly which starts an electrcal reaction, causing the aluminum to corrode rapidly. In plumbing, dielectric unions are used when joining dissimmilar materials, because of the rapid corrosion of the "weaker" metal. Aluminium is probably a poor material for containers as it reacts so rapidly.

Baby food jars, and I've just seen them in 1/2 size jars, so this question for me is answered.
Old 31-10-10, 07:11 PM

Default Aluminium is very reactive

Aluminum metal is very reactive to salt and bases such as ammonia, sodium carbonate, etc.
Eggs have some salt in them and ammonia can be generated by active bacteria in the eggs or even enzymatic action in the eggs.

If you have ever wrapped a salted roast in aluminum foil to bake, hold the foil up to the light afterward and you will see a lot of pinholes where the aluminum dissolved where the salt contacted it. Chuck roast with dried onion soup sprinkled on it really erodes the foil. I always use parchment paper linings for aluminum foil to prevent food contact.

I use the plastic film canisters but taking off the lid often sprays stuff everywhere.

You just cannot beat glass jars. I invested in a bunch of 2 oz jars that I was able to get at an excellent price from a jelly maker who used them for making up little sample jars of their wares. I had to buy a gross (144) but I was glad I did. Eventually, the enamel on the jar lid fails and the lid must be discarded. You might be able to find someone making small containers of organic or other specialty cosmetics or moisturizers who can sell you some empty jars.